strange tube coloration

dewe48

Cadet
Hi. I bought a used premier pontoon. It was kept in a canal,and the pontoons were a mess. I cleaned it with shark hyde cleaner and it looks perfect for about 2 weeks and then it starts getting strange dark marks that almost look like they were painted with a brush. This happens even in my hoist with the boat out of the water. I attached 2 photos so you can see what I'm talking about. I spoke with a dealer,and he thinks the boat came with sharkhyde protectant on it and it's wearing off. I would appreciate any ideas on how to fix this. Thank you.

Attachments

• photo227137.jpg
    photo227137.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227138.jpg
    photo227138.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you using the Sharkhyde protectant after the cleaner? The canal is salt or brackish, isn't it?

dewe48

Cadet
I never used the protectant. that's what I'm wondering if it had the protectant on and what is getting discolored is where the protectant is wearing off. The canal was in michigan, so no salt water.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like simple Oxidation to me. If you reclean it and then put some kind of protectant or sealer it should last much longer.

I cleaned mine and then applied Zepps Wet Look*in several thin coats. Still looks good 2+ years later.

* Its actually floor wax available at Lowes.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I misread the state registration, thought it was North Carolina. So the Flint river then. :eek:

Yeah, you need to put some sort of protection on the toons after cleaning. The cleaning removes oxidation, which is a protectant itself, but it exposes the fresh surface to continued oxidation. It's splotchy because the old coating remnant is protecting the shinier parts.

dewe48

Cadet
That's kind of what I was thinking. From what I understand the premiers come with shark hyde from the factory. It must be just wearing off. I wonder if I need to remove the original coating, or if I can just treat on top of the old after cleaning again.