Strange tire wear issue

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok. Ill try to make this short.

In February I had new Nanco 4.80 - 12" trailer tires put on my single jetski trailer. Around April I made a few trips to the lake and started noticing the tread was wearing down extremely fast.

24y3cwx.jpg

At this point, these tires had about 250 miles on them. Natutally, I checked the tire pressure when I saw this. (note: I had not changed the tire pressure since they were professionally installed, filled, and balanced by Big OTire.) The tires have a max of 60 psi. When I checked, they were at about 52ish. ...This is where my mistake came in....but still!! .... Figuring the wear was caused by low pressure, I filled them to around 57psi, and headed for the lake. All went well until I was goin about 60mph on 2 lane, go figure.

opafie.jpg

I later learned that the tread wore completely through the tire and burnt a hole in it, causing it to blow.

15p5wmg.jpg

When I went back to BigO, the owner told me the tire shouldnt have been filled passed 40psi. Despite the 60psi rating, and the fact that HIS PEOPLE filled it above 50 originally!
I get this is partly my fault, as I should have been more aware of what was occuring when the center of the tread began wearing down...but neither me or my dad have ever seen something like this happen to a tire just because the pressure was close to the max.

I just bought some new TowMasters with a 60psi rating...so Ill be filling them to 40.
Just wanted to share with all of you.

-CUBE-

Last edited by a moderator:

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Buy NANCO Tires at your own risk!

Yikes!

That wear pattern indicates overinflation, not underinflation. Sounds like those tires were mislabeled. Or maybe they're just plain old garbage. I seem to remember bad things being posted about that brand before.

You need to inflate those new tires to 60 PSI to get the full load rating and keep sway to a minimum.

cribber

Lieutenant

Dude... looking at the tread wear I can only give two thoughts.,, no way a new tire would be that threadbare after 250 miles unless the axle seized and you went from Savannah to Mobile and never looked back. Or, it was over inflated for years of use. I'd replace both wheels and service the axles, wheels, and brakes when ya can...

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

What was the tires maximum weight. The tire might have been rated for 60# with a heavier weight than your actual load... Just a thought

Splat

Lieutenant

I don't care if you put 150psi in that tire. There is a issue with your trailer causing that kind of wear, epsecially if it truly was only after 250 miles.

You have a fender rubbing, or a bent axle causing this.This is not a tire issue.

Bill

captkevin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did the tire dealer give you any reimbursement for the bad tires? If not that sucks - 250 miles is a total joke

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is no problem with my trailer, this did not happen with my old set of tires I used up until February when they were replaced with the new Nanco tires. So far I have made one trip to the lake (75 miles) and the TowMasters are showing no signs of wear. Ill post when I get closer to 300 miles and let you know how they are holding up. And yes, there was no more than 300 miles on the tires pictured.

BigO did not reimburse me for the tires, all they did was install new ones and balance them for free, saved me about 20 bucks, but each new tire I bought from discount cost $30, so not quite the savings I would have hoped for.

-CUBE-

fishrdan

Admiral

That's some nasty wear that was most likely accelerated by over inflation, but I don't think that's the only reason for the wear, carpy rubber? I had a set of tires I had to buy and they wore quickly, but it was all the way across the tread, tires were shot in a year, tread completely wore out. I think the extreme desert heat and hot roads have something to do with it too...

I have a set of cheap Dico 4.80 x 12" tires I bought from Harbor Freight and I've probably run them close to 3-4000 miles without any significant wear, normally trailering at "interstate" speeds. I have them at max pressure and the tire is crowned a bit, but they are wearing evenly across the tread, each tire is seeing 300-500# depending on how I have the trailer loaded. I watched the tread wear in the beginning, but they are still A'ok after 2-3 years.

Thanks for the heads-up though, I won't be buying any Nanco tires...

SG Goobacks

Cadet

Wow, combine crappy tires with too much air and the road temps lately here in AZ and that is what will happen.
Thankfully no damage and no injury's, still feel that they should have given something back on those tires since they are either faulty or mislabeled.

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That wear was caused by overinflation. Underinflation wears the edges.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Something is very weird here . . . :confused:

Be careful about any brand bashing okay?

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Strange tire wear issue

to keep issues like this from happening in the future always keep a pressure gauge in your dash and have a tread depth gauge or use a penny and you'll be able to see wear on the tread, also physically check the tread on your tires with either your bare hands or tight fitting mechanic gloves to feel any varitions in the tread