Strange starter issue.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
both meaning the charge and connections.
No, the block and starter ends of the cables need to be cleaned in addition to the batter end

Also clean the block mounting surface for the starter

kenny nunez

Captain
Since you suspect the harness connection then the only alternative other than replacing both the engine and instrument panel to engine harness is to cut the male&female connections and replace them with a terminal board with ring terminals.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since you suspect the harness connection then the only alternative other than replacing both the engine and instrument panel to engine harness is to cut the male&female connections and replace them with a terminal board with ring terminals.
can this issue be related to starter bendix not engaging for more that 1 rotation. Im thinking when engin tries to start he vibration momentarily causes a break in firing and decrease in tension on the bendix so it retracts or worse it causes the engine to kick back (it sounds like it does this when trying to start at times now) and has destroyed another starter bendix clutch and or solenoid???

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Starter bendix dropping out is from insufficient current getting to the starter. Either bad connections, bad cables or bad battery

nola mike

Vice Admiral
can this issue be related to starter bendix not engaging for more that 1 rotation.
Yes, if the yellow/red wire stops supplying voltage, you essentially don't have your ignition key in the start position. I mean, if you know you have a wiring problem, seems like a good place to start regardless, no?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
It engaged 100% hence no grinding but for only 45-180 degrees then retracted.
New starter installed. All is well!
Manually turn starter (and hard to do) and examine flywheel teeth. But I suspect bad Bendix.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Starter bendix dropping out is from insufficient current getting to the starter. Either bad connections, bad cables or bad battery.

all of those are fine.

Starter bendix dropping out is from insufficient current getting to the starter. Either bad connections, bad cables or bad battery
coudnt it be from bad over running clutch or solenoid from wiring harness causing system to short in middle of start remember i said sounded like engine would kick back at times. ? because all connections wires and battery are fine. Battery drops to 11.4 under start load so im good. I fixed wiring harness the rubber had swelled and warped from over tightening the clamp and was barely connecting i cut some rubber off and now it starts as soon as i look at the key. so problem solved i guess, i just wonder if the pinion gear at this point would still drop off after one rotation or whatever the measurement is for one second of key turn. ill unplug the fuel pump and check the status.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, if the yellow/red wire stops supplying voltage, you essentially don't have your ignition key in the start position. I mean, if you know you have a wiring problem, seems like a good place to start regardless, no?
yes but the problem has been a non issue but may have gotten worse and am definitely addressing it along with this starter issue as a matter of fact its been fixed now. as of this post

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks for all the input.
fixed harness plug issue, starts right up . no kicking back or funny business. Now I wait for the next issue. Or Maybe ill never have another problem again with a boat???

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so unhooked the fuel pump so it wouldnt start on first touch of the key and as suspected the starter bendix disengages after on 1/8 rotation, if no start immediately. I suspect with all the misfiring from the harness issue i ve killed another over running clutch or solenoid.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
didnt mention that the starter will keep spinning but the gear retracts

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
on the bench test, the gear will stay out indefinitely as long as i have power to the solenoid. does this indicate anything or is it staying out because there's no resistance or flywheel to engage?

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How did you determine that the gear retracted? I think you need a good look at the ring gear.
ring gear is good. I determined it retracted bec it would engage with fly wheel and then starter just spins. I get where your going but flywheel ring gear teeth are good and spacing is normal no shims ever needed and it worked great for months. I believe either, as has been said there is a compromised wire somewhere or the clutch in the starter for bendix gear is damaged from the motor misfiring on start when the main harness plug was being wonkey .

kenny nunez

Captain
Starter drives are easy to replace, buy a new one, not a rebuilt one. Rebuilt starters usually have rebuilt drives.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Turns pout it was the bendix clutch. Not connections.. I put the old starter back in a couple times trying different things so it wasnt any connection.. Put new starter in and no problem at all. Like i said in prev post it was prob bendix clutch from the wiring harness causing intermittent electrical breaks and motor kicking back in the middle of starting. Bendix failure is not always from insufficient current or compromised connection. Lesson learned. Thanks for all the helpful input.