stranded yesterday

BF

Lieutenant
our van died on the way home from the lake yesterday. Luckily ~10 km from a fair sized town, but with 3 little ones, a dog and all our "closing the cottage up for the winter" cargo, it wasn't pretty. Got gouged by the tow truck guy $100+ for 12 km tow to shop. Was able to get a rental van driven out to us where we broke down, so at least we were able to get home last night (~220 km)... <br /><br />A metal fitting on the block where a coolant line fits on cracked off. No way to bodge a "get home" for that!<br /><br />We'll see how much this ends up costing!? <br /><br />I'll also end up with about a 5 1/2 hour round trip to return the rental and pick my van up (when it's ready).<br /><br />Urghh!

PW2

Commander
Re: stranded yesterday

$100 Cdn does sound too out of line to me for a tow. You pay at least $75 these days just to get hooked to a tow.<br /><br />Breaking down is always a bummer, however.

BF

Lieutenant

well... maybe "gouged" was a bit overstated... it was $45 basic tow charge, but it does gall me that he charged another $50 for the distance. He said 25 km's, but it wasn't till after (when I clocked it) that I knew for sure that was way off... in the grand $cheme of thing$, an extra $20 or $30 on the town charge isn't big. It just had the "cha-ching, here we go" feeling to it.<br /><br />Waiting for call from garage... :rolleyes: Sorta like the opposite of waiting for christmas morning when you were a kid.

PW2

Commander

Well, he had to drive out there to get you. R/T miles sounds just about right.<br /><br />And a heck of a lot better than walking the 12 km, with the tribe in tow.<br /><br />Hey when a guy does something for a living, you have to expect to pay a reasonable amount if you expect him to be there the next time. From the time he was dispatched, got you hooked up, and returned the 12 km, I bet the better part of 2 hours was shot. Add to that the cost of the truck, fuel, and whatever other costs he has, it sounds to me like you got your money's worth.<br /><br />Breaking down is never cheap.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hate it when that happens. :(

BF

Lieutenant

I hear ya... and (normally) don't begrudge folks making their living. I think my unsatisfied feeling is was partly 'cause the dispatcher knew exactly where I was, and didn't think there'd be much, if any, mileage cost (I asked)... and the truck operator seemed to have "issues" (he was puttin' out bad vibes from the start).<br /><br />You're right, breakin' ain't cheap, and this will be the smallist part of it (I'm getting over it). I'm guessin' I'll be at $400+ so far, not including any repairs to my van. You're right, it could've been worse. If the rental place had been closed, we'd have really been stuck... Mr. Personality would have not been able to take us all. Rental place was happy to drive 5 min's out and pick up the crew while I stayed with our van.<br /><br />I'm trying to look at as just part of the cost of doing weekend cottage trips....

ZmOz

Captain

Do they have a Canadian version of AAA? You would have already paid for your membership if you had it. ;) <br /><br />You're not stranded until you find yourself 30 miles down an abandoned forest service dirt road with 3 flat tires and no cell phone reception. :p

Fly Rod

Commander

:) AAA+ is the way to go!!! They will tow you home if you break down within 100 miles of home!!! Would not leave home without it!!! And if you are in a friends car and he or she breaks down AAA+ still pays!!!! ;) :cool:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Fly Rod:<br /> :) AAA+ is the way to go!!! They will tow you home if you break down within 100 miles of home!!! Would not leave home without it!!! And if you are in a friends car and he or she breaks down AAA+ still pays!!!! ;) :cool:
It's worthy to notice the teeny little plus sign in Flyrod's description. Without the 'plus' they will tow you only as far as a nearest repair facility or (X) miles, whichever is closest.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is terrible when the family rig dumps ya on the side of the road. Ruins the whole day. Only thing worse is when the weather is foul.<br /><br />That's absolutely true about the + . But, with that + , I've had them tow the van home, so I could unload it and then drop it at the dealer, with no added charge.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You need AAA RV+, if you have a large van, 4WD, boat....JK

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

To quote an ex-president, "I feel your pain".<br />I got in the truck this morning, hit the key, and heard a pop under the hood iunstead of a varoom...<br />The battery BLEW<br /><br /><br /> UP!<br /><br />I had to take the boat battery out,and instal it in me truck just to go to werk! Understand now, i wouldn't mind so much if the boat battery popped, because i can always use the outboard, and i could even remove the truck's battery for an impromptu troller-power-upper.<br />cha-ching, man. ca-stinkin-ching! !@#$#$

BF

Lieutenant

Got my van back... could've been much worse. Whole adventure cost ~$500, plus most of a day of driving. At least our van seems fine, thankfully no damage from a pretty bad overheat.<br /><br />Yes, CAA would have helped this time. I think this is only 2nd time in my life I needed a tow... so I'm probably still ahead compared to paying CAA membership every year. In the past I've said I'd rather put the CAA $$$ into a new battery. Then I never worry about whether or not it will start if it's left unplugged in the winter (when it's -40 oC CAA often has a backlog of hours to boost a car).<br /><br />Calling for 10 cm of snow for tomorrow!! Yikes.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> You're not stranded until you find yourself 30 miles down an abandoned forest service dirt road with 3 flat tires and no cell phone reception. :p
I still wouldn't be stranded. Crank that baby up and limp home, it'll run on flat rubber.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by BF:<br />Yes, CAA would have helped this time. I think this is only 2nd time in my life I needed a tow... so I'm probably still ahead compared to paying CAA membership every year.
The reason you get it is so you never have to use it. ;) A few years ago I had lots of reasons to call AAA, but no membership. Now I have a membership and nothing is wrong. I like it better that way. :) <br /><br />
Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br />I still wouldn't be stranded. Crank that baby up and limp home, it'll run on flat rubber.
Yeah, then when you get to the freeway your tires blow out. Ask me how I know. :D :eek: :rolleyes: