Straits of Mackinac Newbie Questions

imstriker

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all... Thankfully it's almost vacation time and we are heading up to Northern Michigan. I'm dragging my boat up to cruise the inland waterway even though it might be a bit chilly. Well I am up there I find myself really tempted by the thought of cruising from Mackinaw City over to the island on my own boat.

I just have a little fish and ski so this would be a very fair weather only cruise. Beyond weather though, is it doable? I have no concept of state harbors, etc. Can I dock over on the island for a few hours, walk around, and then take her back to the City marina to pull out? I'm pretty unclear on the whole docking in harbor, etc. and not finding much on the State of Michigan websites to explain it.

It seems rather daunting, but the temptation is great. Thank you all for any thoughts :)

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Straits of Mackinac Newbie Questions

I've only done it twice so I'm not an expert. Both times we arrived, called the harbourmaster and requested a slip. He put us at anchor and then called us when one was available. Seems like it was pretty well organized....you could zip over, tie up, talk to the harbormaster to see whats what....I can't imagine him not being able to get you tied up somewhere....hope this 'non-definitive' two-cents answer helps in some goofy way. Enjoy and you've never seen so much fudge and horse s--t as you'll see on the Island.

imstriker

Seaman Apprentice

That helps... At least I know it is possible :) Thank you.

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's been 4 or 5 years since we were there, but the routine was like someone else just said; motor into the harbor, call on the radio and they put you on a list, and they call you when they have a slip. If you don't get there until late afternoon, they might not have a slip that day. I'm told that you can now reserve online, although I have not done it. Keep in mind that the Straits are very frequently fairly rough, because you have 2 great lakes coming together right there.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

As a kid I have many fond memories of doing the Inland Waterway (Oden to Cheboygan) and then staying at a hotel in Cheboygan and heading over to Mackinac Island the next day. We made that trip a few times. We never had a boat bigger than 18 ft. We always had at least 2 boats in the group.

As a kid we also made a trip up to the Les Cheneaux Island (Cedarville/Hessel). We also took our boats (18ft) from there over to Mackinac Island.

When I was a little older, I made an epic journey from Cedarville over to Mackinaw City...yes all the way accross the straits. I had my soon to be wife with me. The catch is that we had nothing more than a 12' Zodiac with a 15hp Mercury on it.

In June 2008, I brought my family back to the Inland Waterway. We camped at Aloha state park on Mullet lake. The weather didn't allow for us to boat to the Island, however, it was still a good trip.

In June 2010 my wife and I were up in Cedarville. Absolutely wonderful trip. We made it out to Mackinac Island for dinner on one evening. Here is our boat at the State Harbor.

P1060670800x600.jpg

If you have specific quesitons please ask. I have been working on putting a blog together over the last year or so. You can find it here: http://michiganboater.blogspot.com/

imstriker

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome picture, thank you. That is great, I really appreciate all of the replies. I'm hoping for some slightly warmer weather than is forecast to make a quick run across.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Glad to be a help.

When do you plan to be up there? If the weather is calm, you can always bundle up to stay a little warmer. Keep your PFD on and have your safety equipment close at hand.

Here is the contact info for the Mackinac Island State Harbor:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_10884_18317-44386--,00.html

You can call before you head over. Or call them via cell or radio once you get into the harbor.

This time of year, especially during the week, they would likely have slips available for a day visit. Last year they charged $10 for a day. It is worth it.

Once they let you know which slip to go to, they will likely help you get tied up. If you have a fender board, bring it. As you can see, the docks are designed for bigger boats when the water levels were higher. For small boats, it makes positioning fenders sort of difficult.