Stowing Evinrude 9.9

driver0606

Seaman
Hello. When my outboard is taken out of the water it has to be stowed on board. Clearly, if it is stowed horizontally as normal, i.e. the prop facing upward and below the level of the power head, any water left in the cooling system will not get inside the combustion chambers or cylinders. I have also seen engines stowed on their sides. How high could the prop end be above the power head before water would get, please?
I guess this question would in fact apply to pretty well any outboard motor. Thanks for any advice.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If you give it some time upright so it can drain well. should do ok laying down

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
If you cannot keep it upright long enough to be sure it is properly drained lay it down so that the prop end is lower than the power head.

Generally dont lay them down on their gear shift lever side. you might break the gear shift lever. Lay it on the tiller handle.

Talking about two strokes of course.

4 strokes upright or lying down as indicated in the manual only

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
There's a vertical carry handle under the stern bracket (my mid-'80s two strokes, anyway). If I lay it down, I do it prop down with the powerhead resting on the back of the lower cover. It will drain that way down through the prop, although vertical storage preferred for long term. I run the carb dry before taking it off the transom.

Laying it down any other way risks breakage of some kind (shift handle, plastic clamp screw handles, steering handle or bracket). Messy any way you do it -- plastic trash bag around l.u. a good idea anywhere you store it.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can you ever really get all the water out of the unit? I pulled my 18hp out of the water (on the transom ), drove 40 miles to my storage unit, removed the motor and hung it on my stand. It has been sitting there, vertical, since late July. I've been using my 9 hp. Last week I took the motor off the stand to bring it home. As I rotated the motor horizontal to carry it, it peed water all over my pants. Almost 4 months and still water inside!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Can you ever really get all the water out of the unit? I pulled my 18hp out of the water (on the transom ), drove 40 miles to my storage unit, removed the motor and hung it on my stand. It has been sitting there, vertical, since late July. I've been using my 9 hp. Last week I took the motor off the stand to bring it home. As I rotated the motor horizontal to carry it, it peed all over my pants. Almost 4 months and still water inside!
They usually have drain holes located to ensure that they drain completely. Maybe you have a blocked drain hole ..................... or a prostate problem :eek:

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
yeah, if it smells like gas it's probably unburned mix; if it smells like sulphur, it's probably gear oil. If it has another funky smell, could be asparagus. :)

driver0606

Seaman
The engine is on a tender and lifted out by crane, so there is just time to let it drain vertically before hoisting it aboard. Then it is manhandled into stowage. The bottom line is, how far can the prop be above the power head (prop facing up) before risking entry of sea water into the cylinders or combustion chambers, please?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Exhaust housing must slope down a bit.---Water getting into cylinders will drain into the crankcase and that will be a disaster for bearings.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If the motor is not drained and flushed, and is stored with the lower unit above the powerhead, you risk corrosion. Location of the corrosion is a crapshoot. Sorry.