Stove top popcorn. My favorite so far.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I like to make popcorn on the stove top. The brand I found that pops up the biggest and tasts best is Trails End. First thing you notice when opening the bag is how large the kernels are. They pop more violently than othes too.<br /><br />BTW, my favorite seasoning for popcorn is Adobo.<br /><br />The best method I have found for stove top popcorn is this:<br /><br />1. Use a deep pan. I like to use my double boiler pot (it's non-stick too) because of how deep it is.<br /><br />2. Pour in 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Do not use butter because it will burn. <br /><br />3. Heat up the oil, then add enough corn to cover the bottom of the pot 1 to 2 kernels deep.<br /><br />4. Adjust temperature to about 3/4 or High.<br /><br />5. Stir the kernels to get even coverage of oil. Keep stiring to "brown" the kernels. You will notice that they go from yellow to white then start to brown.<br /><br />6. Keep browning until one pops. Then give it a shake to level out the kernals and put on an OVERSIZE lid. The oversize lid is needed to let all the steam out. If you don't let the steam out, the result can be soggy popcorn. <br /><br />7. Let them pop. About half way through, turn down the heat so the bottom kernels don't burn.<br /><br />8. Remove when you don't hear any more popping. Add whatever seasonings you like.<br /><br />There should be only a few unpopped kernels left. Often all of them pop.<br /><br />Enjoy!<br /><br />I think this method of making popcorn is by far the best, and makes better popcorn than the microwave stuff.<br /><br />It is important to keep your popcorn in an air tight bag or container. This is because it's the moisture in the kernels that turns to steam when heated that causes the kernel to explode, turning itself inside out. If the corn dries out, it won't pop well.<br /><br />Mark.

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Stove top popcorn. My favorite so far.

Sounds real good, but I have a question???<br />Where is the beer?????

ndemge

Commander

I've got one of thoese stove top poppers with the crank on the side, is nice, lets the steam out, and you can stir it uniformly once it starts to pop...<br /><br />and add a pinch of sugar to the mix right before it starts to pop and you have perfect kettle corn flavor :)

KaGee

Admiral

Me uses Orville Redenbacher.....MICROWAVE POPCORN!<br /><br />Forget the mess on the stove.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

You wants to make stovetop popcorn really good cook it in "Mongolian Fire Oil". hehe mmgood

ndemge

Commander

.....explain chief

spratt

Lieutenant

Yeah, chief..what IS Mongolian Fire Oil???????<br /><br /><br />Personally , I love Garlic Salt on my popcorn...so gooooooooooooood!!!

spratt

Lieutenant

BTW, is Washington the only place the vendors set up and sell that sweet popcorn called Kettle Corn?

sangerwaker

Commander

No, spratt. I see it here in MN, too, at the fairs and even in the malls. Like ndemge said, just a little sugar added to regular popcorn makes an almost carbon copy of kettle corn.

ndemge

Commander

Originally posted by ndemge:<br /> I've got one of thoese stove top poppers with the crank on the side, is nice, lets the steam out, and you can stir it uniformly once it starts to pop...<br /><br />and add a pinch of sugar to the mix right before it starts to pop and you have perfect kettle corn flavor :)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Spratt, look in the oriental section of the supermarket...comes in a small bottle and packs a wallop, if you really likes garlic you can saute some chopped garlic in the oil before you put the popcorn in... :) <br />Best I should mention before I get sued that you only add a couple of teaspoons of "MFO" to the oil you cook with... :D

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Here's what we use <br /><br /><br />Use the Orviller Reddenbachers's popcorn oil to cook in and salted butter to top with.<br /><br />It is as good or better than what you get in a theater.

spratt

Lieutenant

OK, Chief, gonna go get some seasoning for the WORL'S BES HOT WINGS tomorrow, so maybe I can find some of that oil:) My wife makes the BEST wings, and I get to eat ALL of them because noone elsel ikes the hot stuff at home... I am telling ya, they are so hot, that I have to have a towel to keep my ose clean whilst I eat...Maybe that is why I NEVER have sinus trouble!!!She won't kissme for a couple hours, till my lips are cooled sown!!!! So tender they are, teh meat jst slides of teh bone right into the old food hole, and man I almost wanna get outta here and go get some now...I think she is making some tonite!!!!!!!! <br /><br /><br />Hot wings, hot wings, taste great<br />Wish I had some, can't wait!!!

one more cast

Captain

I like real butter, grated Parmesan cheese, fresh ground black pepper, salt, fresh ground garlic,and a dash of ground Cayenne. <br /> At the bouckville antique show here in NY you can get kettle corn on every corner.

spratt

Lieutenant

Really, OMC??? I know that during summer and at fair time, Kettle Corn is more popular than fish out here...like ya say, nearly every corner!!!<br /><br />That doesn't sound like popcorn, OMC...shame shame, it sounds like DINNER!!!!!!! My wife would like to read that one, but I ain't gonna let her:) She is a popcorn fanatic...know how she eats it??? With her teeth BWA HA HA HA HA HA!!! No really, she justs makes it drab...salt and butter...yep that is all!!! And with a Diet Coke...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I like real butter, grated Parmesan cheese, fresh ground black pepper, salt, fresh ground garlic,and a dash of ground Cayenne. <br />
None of those things add any calories, right? <br /> :p

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ditto OMC's except I use garlic salt and no cayeene.