Storing extra gas can on board?

Pappyball

Cadet
Anyone carry an extra gas can on board when they are out on the water?

My fuel gauge works but not that great. I never go out without stopping and topping off the tank first. Never run out of gas on the water but sometimes on those really long summer days I start to worry about how much gas I have left.

I was thinking about getting a 3 gallon gas can and keeping it filled up and on the boat. I was thinking about putting it in this secure a gas can storage tray I saw at Menard's and securing the tray to the floor inside the engine compartment.

Anyone ever set anything up like this?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Storing extra gas can on board?

Better to not store it "inside engine compartment or inside anywhere"...best above deck where it can get fresh air/ventilation.....I keep 2-6gallon jerry cans in the back of boat to supplement my 12 gallon main tank. Good luck and be careful!:)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I sometimes carry a gallon for reserve, and think it's a good idea, except the "engine compartment" part (never had one, but it sounsd scary).

I put mine under a seat; I don't think it matters for a good plastic commercial gas can, as long as it's away from likely sources of sparks. Some of the safety nuts will tell you to tow it on a barge 50' behind the boat. Just use good judgment; gasoline is kept in closed areas all over boats.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's good advice ^^^^^. And throw it in the tank when you fill-up to keep it fresh.

halfmoa

Ensign

I have both 6 gallon tanks full when I leave and throw in a 2 gallon spare under the splashwell. 8 gallons will take me from my preferred launch to the farthest point on each of the three ends of the lake and back to the launch (which we rarely do). 4 gallons left over to play/tube/ski. The extra 2 gallons is as much for another boater in need as it's for me. Good karma.

NYBo

Admiral

Tow it on a barge 50' behind the boat.:p

Definitely NOT in the engine compartment. Permanent tanks are required to be vented to the outside of the hull for good reason.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I keep a 6 gallon can under the bow, bungee corded. My 18 gallon tank is plenty, but would always be willing to help a fellow boater with enough to get back to the dock.
It lashes nicely right behind the bow steps

2010-12-04_18-06-16_625.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

When I was young (with the corresponding mentality) and had my little 13' Taylor Craft that I used to run out to the "Islands" off the Mississippi Coast, I always carried an additional gas can as my engine tanks weren't that big and the last thing I wanted to have happen was to run out. I kept it out in the open, and out of the sun (tarp cover) with all vents sealed. When it got time to refuel for the trip home, I anchored in the leeward side of the islands for flat water and let the wind blow the stern down wind then got up on the stern and made the transfer. After that, I would wait for awhile and get down on the floor (deck) and smell for fumes. Never had a problem.

Mark

just put it under the splash well with a normal gas tie down. i keep 2 6 gallons and 1 3 gallons on board at all time and just alternate i love always having and extra 9 gallons to go were ever i want when i feel like it my boat sips gas but i like to be on the safe side.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
How about you just fix the gas gauge and then you can monitor your fuel level and you don't have to worry about storing the extra can.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

How about you just fix the gas gauge and then you can monitor your fuel level and you don't have to worry about storing the extra can.

Because boat gas guages never work accurately at the low end. They are as useful as the low fuel light on a dash board.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No problem as long as it's an approved can, and air can get to it - ie, not in engine compartment.

And SBL - thanks, I got a chuckle out of that!

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Because boat gas guages never work accurately at the low end. They are as useful as the low fuel light on a dash board.

Gives you something to go by... as a reference. Better than nothing at all! But if I were a ways out, extra fuel jug would make me feel better too...

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have carried fuel on the swim deck in 5 gallon cans, for longer cruises and as basically a fuel carrier for a bunch of friends who wanted to take long river trips on their jet skis. Make sure the cans are in good order and do not leak, Tie them secure. You don't want to lose one, that could be very bad for the environment. and DON"T SMOKE:eek: that could be bad.

Or you could fix the gauge.

But I have never stored fuel on board.