Storage question

T/O

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2021 suntracker that I'm going to store outside in AZ for about 4 months I have a mooring cover for it but wanted to know if this sounds like a good idea.
I was going to disconnect the 2 #10 wires from the battery that feed the console but wondering if I can leave the#4 wire to the outboard installed to be able to operate the trim on the motor without killing the battery?
Should I store it with the outboard down?
Does it need a cover?
Any other suggestions welcome this is my first outboard and pontoon

alldodge

Staff member
Outside is not like inside, but it will be ok. An OB can be stored up or down (I like down) but use something to keep rain out of the prop hub if stored up. Covering the motor is good idea to keep the weather off, but it will be ok if not

Can keep the Bat connected, but it should have a maintenance charger on it. Is there a place the one can be connected, or maybe a solar charger

ahicks

Captain
I pull the fuse going to the console, leave the motor down so no water is trapped internally, and start the storage season with a fully charged battery. Starting the storage fully charged, they make it through a Michigan winter and start the motor in the spring - IF - the battery is in good shape. Marginal batteries may not make it through no matter what you do...

T/O

Seaman Apprentice
It's a New battery and there's a circuit breaker at the battery for the console wiring so I'll check and see if there's a way to trip it and leave everything connected to the battery I just remembered it had that. I'll look into getting a cover for the outboard

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Up in cold country we pull the batteries, still would be a good idea to have an auto trickle charger on the batteries, especially if you have a deep cell battery. Do you have a mooring cover for the boat? I would cover it that way at a minimum.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Would be a good idea to have an auto trickle charger on the batteries, especially if you have a deep cell battery.
Maybe I missed something.

Why would it be more important to trickle charge a deep cycle over a starting battery?

Same rate of self discharge if both are lead acid, but the deep cycle is far more tolerant of discharge by design.

One would think minimizing the discharge of a starting battery would be far more important than a deep cycle

T/O

Seaman Apprentice
I installed the mooring cover and disconnected the positive side of the battery, next spring I'm going to add a deep cycle for a second battery already have the BlueSea set-up in my garage.
I'm going to get a solar battery tender just to keep it up and ready if I take it out over the winter.
Thanks for the replies

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I simply make sure the battery is fully charged and unhook the ground. Leave it in the boat and let it be. In spring hookup, top off charge and go boating. Weather get's to -40 at times. 6-7 years the battery is in need of replacement.

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just my preference, I pull the negative cable from battery. Positive cable is more likely to arc upon reconnecting 🤷 if there is any draw.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Battery maintainer to keep the battery in good condition.
If nothing is draining the battery I'd leave it all hooked up.
Doesn't matter, negative or positive leads, if somethings drawing juice either will spark.

T/O

Seaman Apprentice
Got a full cover from OceanSouth for the Merc 90 and will get it installed this weekend. while I'm there I will look for a place to attach a solar Battery Tender so it will get the most Sun.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I keep my old 18 footer in my drivway and have a battery charger that keeps all three batteries charged. I put some tape over the end of the tell tale-"weep hole" hose to keep ants and wasps out of it. I rebuilt my boat myself so it has fewer problems than the original. I replaced the original decking with real marine plywood and then used a rubberized scuff coat paint on the deck. Got rid of mold when I got rid of carpet. I jacked the rails up so that leaves and stuff washes right off the deck. I cover the seats when I feel like it otherwise I just wash them down before we take it out.