Stopped a SHT today

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my way home from my sons house, as I turned a corner at a stop light, I noticed :eek: a boat at the light going in the other direction with the BOW LINE hanging over the fender of the trailer. Lucky for him I got his attention before the light changed and got the line stowed properly in the boat. He thanked me BIG TIME :cool: and I suggested that he join iboats. ;) Brand spankin new Mirro Craft 16 footer. Didn't even look like it had gotten wet yet. Would have been a shame to have yanked the bow eye out of her. Gotta check ALL the gear BEFORE truckin on down the road. Got home and looked in the garage and checked out my rig just on impulse to make sure I'm good to go this Saturday. And I will check again before I pull out of the garage on Saturday.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Stopped a SHT today

Way to go! That would of sucked to loose and brand new boat like that!

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

O.K., I'm a dummy, ......... what is a SHT ?? :confused:

You know now^^. But when I see that acronym, I always want to put an i in it for some reason.

Good Job Hangeye! Nice and friendly of you.

How did you get his attention? I try to get the attention of people on the road quite frequently , and fail most of the time. Usually for low tire issues though...

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You know now^^. But when I see that acronym, I always want to put an i in it for some reason.

Good Job Hangeye! Nice and friendly of you.

How did you get his attention? I try to get the attention of people on the road quite frequently , and fail most of the time. Usually for low tire issues though...

His light was red, I pulled over, put on the flashers and ran (not real fast, I'm getting old) and got his attention before his light turned green. The bow line was stowed before he moved an inch, to some dismay of the motorists behind him. Mt thought to the impatient folks that had to wait for the light to cycle, 1) if you're in that big of a hurry, you should have left for your destination earlier, or 2) you don't own a brand new boat that is in need of attention to avoid a tragedy, or 3) you're a young kid that can't text unless you are moving. At any rate it was fortunate for him that I saw the line in time.:)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I sometimes wonder whether they should add a forum beside this one called "Careless Human Tricks" to cover what may not be truly "stupid"....like this event ;)

Mark SF

Seaman

My bow line goes around the post on the trailer a couple of times, then back to the boat and gets cleated. A little insurance in case something goes wrong with the winch or the little latch isnt engaged properly.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

My bow line goes around the post on the trailer a couple of times, then back to the boat and gets cleated. A little insurance in case something goes wrong with the winch or the little latch isnt engaged properly.

Me too! I go from the eye, down under the tongue, back through the eye, and then I do a bunch of loops around the vertical portion of the line, to the post. That way, the bow can't rise up, out of the rubber stop and the boat can't move backwards.

I also run my stern lines forward, around a side rail cleat and then down to the eyebolts that my stern strap fastens to. The diagonal, trailer rail to side rail on the boat orientation, helps to keep the boat from trying to move forward, in a sudden stop situation.

It takes some time to do all of this after recovering the boat, But I think it is worth the effort.

???

SangerTom

Seaman

Wow - never realized how important that is. I just bought a strap that West Marine sells ($30 or so) that loops around the center tube of the trailer and then hooks onto the bow eye. Double protection. Thanks.