stoopid prop interchangability question

meandmyz

Cadet
will a prop from a 1990 bayliner ciera 2150 3.0 with cobra outdrive fit a 1989 evinrude xp 150 outboard?? and if so is it worth getting bushing changed out on props? these were my dads old props that are in mint condition aside from him saying the bushings were bad, and I am wanting to know if they would fit a potential purchase?
thanks
cheers

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Look up props right here at iboats for the 89 XP150 and the 90 3.0 Cobra. Solas numbers are the same for each. 2511-148- 17
the size I looked up.
If the props are mint how come the bushings are bad?
Bushings? Do you mean a spun hub?

meandmyz

Cadet
ya I mean the rubber hub spun, sorry I am a rookie boat guy and when I see rubber between metal I call it a bushing...when I say mint I mean no dings, chips and everything is straight...he claims they were spun but I think he just wanted to buy new props, one rubber does look weather and I can see some cracking , but other looks really good, I would think there would have been more signs of wear other then what I can see.....and thanks for the fast reply, and I didn't even know I could look up props here but checked another site and they seemed the same but had other numbers with astericks and so i didn't know

also if the hubs are spun is it an easy press in and out with a 15 ton shop press?? I have pressed many wheel bearings in my day and suspension bushings in and out but this is alum and is obviously balanced so i don't want to ruin anything....thanks and sorry for so many questions

meandmyz

Cadet
ya I mean the rubber hub spun, sorry I am a rookie boat guy and when I see rubber between metal I call it a bushing...when I say mint I mean no dings, chips and everything is straight...he claims they were spun but I think he just wanted to buy new props, one rubber does look weather and I can see some cracking , but other looks really good, I would think there would have been more signs of wear other then what I can see.....and thanks for the fast reply, and I didn't even know I could look up props here but checked another site and they seemed the same but had other numbers with astericks and so i didn't know

also if the hubs are spun is it an easy press in and out with a 15 ton shop press?? I have pressed many wheel bearings in my day and suspension bushings in and out but this is alum and is obviously balanced so i don't want to ruin anything....thanks and sorry for so many questions

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I use a six ton press to remove and press in hubs so a 15 ton would be no sweat. Lubricate the rubber hub with soapy water. You must have a tapered jig to ease entry. Us a cup (outer race) from a correct sized tapered roller bearing-- I use an old pitted race from a forward gear lower unit bearing. The small diameter is just about equal in size to the center of the prop. After pressing in the hub let the prop sit for a day or two before using it to allow the rubber to "grab"

There are different durometer rubber hubs for aluminum and stainless. Use the correct one. HMS Hubs sells them and they range from 20 to 40 bucks depending upon engine and prop.

You can not tell if a hub is spun unless you try it on the engine OR if you have a special jig. I was just reading that on larger props the hub is considered good if it does not slip with 100 foot pounds of force applied with a torque wrench and the jig.

Last edited:

meandmyz

Cadet
awesome, thanks for the advice, I decided not to purchase the xp150 and boat but will def try changing hub just cuz and pretty sure I have a few taper bearing race's around to try...thanks
cheers