Stingray 208 Turningpoint prop

Anders_89

Seaman
Hi guys!

igot a stingray 208CR VP 4,3 SX drive from 2014.

Stock 21P prop did around 40-41 at 4600RPM knots so around 47 MPH
i bought an 21P masterguard from turningpoint and now it only does 35 knot at 4600 RPM
the blades look liiiitle bit smaller than the stock one so i needed a 23P?

also im intersted if anyone here got an similar boat and engine what prop do you use?
//Anders

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
From what I can see on the Turningpoint Website, 'Masterguard' is the brand name of the Hub Kits.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps you mean Mach*. Since there are a few versions that are Mach, I will give you the link to the site, and you can figure out what you have

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Okay, no change in pitch, no change in Rpm, but lost 6-7 mph. Either your slip numbers went thru the Roof, otherwise the numbers aren't making any sense

Anders_89

Seaman
Okay, no change in pitch, no change in Rpm, but lost 6-7 mph. Either your slip numbers went thru the Roof, otherwise the numbers aren't making any sense
Well both stock and ss are 21p. But With the SS i Have to stop at 4600 if not i overrev Im not att full throttle

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
So you are saying you don't know what the WOT rpm is with the Stainless? Was 4600 the top Rpm the AL prop could attain, or were your holding back on the Throttle there too?
Are you certain the WOT range is 4200 - 4600, and not 4400 - 4800?
The engine isn't going to Fly apart at 5000, well it a 4.3, so it might. Just kidding there

Anders_89

Seaman
So you are saying you don't know what the WOT rpm is with the Stainless? Was 4600 the top Rpm the AL prop could attain, or were your holding back on the Throttle there too?
Are you certain the WOT range is 4200 - 4600, and not 4400 - 4800?
The engine isn't going to Fly apart at 5000, well it a 4.3, so it might. Just kidding there
I wrote wrong ur right its 4800 i did 4800 with steel prop and i had more to give but i stopped there :)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You need to know how much over the recommended max Rpm the engine goes, to help give you an idea of how much change in pitch is needed. I doubt your engine has a Rev Limiter which in my opinion is good, as that is one less thing to complicate the process. You say you still had more Throttle to go, but you don't know how much higher it would have spun, you can try the next higher Pitch, and see if that keeps the RPMs in the WOT range. If not then you have to get another, ever higher Pitch Prop. However if you had allowed the engine to reach it top RPM(unless it was going above 5500, nothing to worry about for a few seconds) with the Steel Prop, you would have an indication of how much more pitch you need.
Throttle Linkage movement is rarely Linear to RPM change, the last 20% of Lever movement, doesn't mean 20% more rpm

Anders_89

Seaman
You need to know how much over the recommended max Rpm the engine goes, to help give you an idea of how much change in pitch is needed. I doubt your engine has a Rev Limiter which in my opinion is good, as that is one less thing to complicate the process. You say you still had more Throttle to go, but you don't know how much higher it would have spun, you can try the next higher Pitch, and see if that keeps the RPMs in the WOT range. If not then you have to get another, ever higher Pitch Prop. However if you had allowed the engine to reach it top RPM(unless it was going above 5500, nothing to worry about for a few seconds) with the Steel Prop, you would have an indication of how much more pitch you need.
Throttle Linkage movement is rarely Linear to RPM change, the last 20% of Lever movement, doesn't mean 20% more rpm
yes okey mate! when i get weather for it i will max it and try to see how high the RPMS go :D

I tried a Turning Point prop this spring and I'm not a big fan of them after that experience.

I get better hole shot, higher top speed, and a better WOT RPM with a Quicksilver Nemesis than I did a Turning Point Hustler. The Hustler would also cavitate if I had too many people in the boat despite being a 4 blade prop behind a 190hp 4.3L.

Anders_89

Seaman
Hi mate, sorry for late respond i had good weather this weekend so i tested.
almost 5k rpm so around 200 over. so i guess i need to put a 23" and it will be around 4800 at max? or 4600?

Anders_89

Seaman
hi mate! can u help me with a good 3 blade prop? the express prop do u think it will give me 6-7 knots more if i go from 21 to 23 ?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi mate, sorry for late respond i had good weather this weekend so i tested.
almost 5k rpm so around 200 over. so i guess i need to put a 23" and it will be around 4800 at max? or 4600?
What exact speed did you get gps at 5000 rpm ? And was that with a 21 “ 3 blade stainless?