stingray 1989

sompa

Cadet
I have found a 1989 175 stingray that appears to be in great shape. I was just wondering if anyone knows how well built they were in 89 and if this would be a good boat now. It will be used mainly for skiing and tubing with a little fishing. I am more concerned about the ability to pull skiers(adult and children) and tubing than the fishing. Also the price is $4995. There are no cracks on the seats and looks well taken care of. Sorry for some many questions. Thanks for your time and help.

kaliman91

Seaman Apprentice
Re: stingray 1989

Without pics and more info your not gonna get many answers. What size motor does it have would be my first question.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know nothing about the 89 stingrays. Mine is a an 04. If they were built back then like mine is, then the hull is nice and high quality, but its lighter than most comparable same sized hulls. I would only be concerned if the boat was primarily used where there is a ton of chop. I bet it also has wood stringers, so looking for some rot would be important.

They pride themselves on light fast hulls. Thus, their boats typically run fast, and you could pull a skier with the smaller engines, but might need to pitch the prop correctly.

You might get more specific info on the 89 by using the pubic question posting section of their website.

rndn

Commander

Check this web site for boat values. It appears the price is a little high for a 1989 model. Stingrays are nice quality boats but I can't find a model 175 for the 1989 model year. The closest is a 176. You will need to remove the quotes to use the link.

"http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-24-38-5692-818-946-59910&l=1&w=24&p=38&f=5693&gc=mr"

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For a nearly 20 year old boat I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the brand nearly as much as the current condition of THIS boat. IF it withstood 20 years use and is in good condition, that's about all you need to know. now, the type of ride it has may be important and different hull styles have different ride characteristics. As was said, a newer Stingray is lighter than most similar boats and most say it's faster (per similar HP due to weight of course) and rides a bit rougher in chop.

Remember, the engine is what you're paying for mostly in a boat that age. So check it out closely and run it. Tell us what is is also so folks can comment on power and such. For water sports, the engine is what matters most! The size needed depends on how many and how heavy your typical "crew" will be. throw three or 4 adults and a few kids into a little boat and it can significantly increase the power needed for water sports.

Someone mentioned the chance of wood rot - again an 18 yr old boat has this concern. If the vinyl is not ripped and the boat looks in very good shape, at least your odds are much better that it was very well cared for and maybe didn't get wet under the deck and rot the stringers or transom. AT LEAST take a rubber mallot and tap around the transom to find any obvious rot issues there.

Lastly, you should be able to get that age and size for maybe $3k or so. IF it's in great condition, which is somewhat hard to find going back 18 years, then maybe closer to $4k to keep your search for a nice boat reasonable. It could take a long time to find one priced just right AND in great shape, so a few extra bucks may be worth it!