Sting Ray™ Hydrofoil Stabilizer

sikz3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sting Ray™ Hydrofoil Stabilizer

I added a doel-fin on my 1980 seaswirl and I am not sure if it is what caused it but my front motor mounts ripped from the floor. I think it was the drag while going into reverse too fast and the fins added too much drag.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

cobra said:
I have a Stingray and have installed and removed it on my I/O on occasion. I always come to the same conclusion. Yes it will plane the boat faster and at lower speeds, but it will also slow down the boat a few mph and cause the boat to list to one side a bit. And YES, it's a freaken ugly add on and band-aid. So, I don't use it.

My concern with tabs is that it might be in the way with swimmers coming up on the ladder on my boat.

Ditto all of that, I removed mine because it generated too much lift at higher speeds, causing the bow to dig, got scary a couple of times, so off it came.

I also share your concerns about swimmers, etc. plus I I do not have the room to install traditional trim tabs. A little searching turned up the Volvo QL tabs, they are about the size of a tv remote and have a very small blade that extends downward instead of rearward. I will probably try these when I get the money($600 retail), but I would love to hear from anybody who HAS these tabs on thier boat.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Gary said:
The Smart Tabs greatly helped my low speed wander.
My boat had that problem real bad,most I/O do wander alot at idle speed.The tabs helped so much i can let go of the steering and still track straight.I was impressed.

Ditto to that Gary, plus all else mentioned re the Smart Tabs.(except for the non existant problem with swimmers)

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a Doel fin on my boat, I just took it of this weekend, made a huge differance, no more listing, steering is easier, the top speed was a few more MPH, but the steering issue is what has sold me on keeping that thing off and I'm going to install a set of smart tabs.

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm glad I started this thread, it wasn't as dumb of a question as I thought.

Now I don't have to worry about drilling holes that I would of only had to fill. There were posts about JB Weld working wonders if I had to.

Now, it's just coming up with the 200 beans for Smart Tabs. Since I've fished everyday since I bought the boat, I do believe the petrol station is taking a big chunk of my expenditures.

I slowed the boat down tremendously, plus I use my trim more correctly, and the bow down and wandering have lessened a great deal.

The Smart Tabs will give me a new feeling, just as soon as I can afford it.

Thanks for all the input. What a time and money saver this forum is.

Not to mention the cracking Don S. pointed out, that proof was in the pudding since I wa going to install a stingray from my other boat onto the new one.

When I took it off the other boat, the cavitation plate was cracked.............

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Save some cash and buy the blemished ones.

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh I am, but they still break 150 with shipping......... i round things off to the higher, the other 40 or 50 can go in the tank :)

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if it's any consolation to this, i changed down to a lower pitch prop that also came with the boat, and i like it. i lost some rpm's and a second more out of the hole, and maybe some top end.

if this isnt bad for the boat, id like to keep it that way, why............. it kept the bow down and that's what i was after and the boat responded better all around, .

any comments? i really dont want to put something on the boat i may not need now, but if the boat running at lower rpms would hurt the motor and drive, i'll go back to the bigger prop, and get these tabs.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Not sure how much lower in pitch your prop is but what you say doesn't really match with a lower pitch prop, generally you see higher RPM's (less drag), quicker hole shot and lose a little off the top end, you seem to have lost in all 3?

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this is what i put on it now, Michigan 14-1/2" - 17" Aluminum 3-Blade Propeller

it looks liked the prop that came with the boat because she said she that off and was the original owner.

I was told the one i took off was a 16 pitch ( 48 - 16440 - 16 ). I'very confused on the props. At one point when I thought this wasnt the way to go, I was thinking put what was on, back on, and get the tabs.

in the mean time, the boat runs real nice with this other prop.

im not in it for speed and hole shots, im in it for comfort and reliability

thanks

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

shelikesit, I'd post in the prop forum with complete details of your boat and props. You will get the best advice there now that you have eliminated the desire for a Stingray.

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks, and i tried that.

i think since i don't understand it as much as i think, im going to talk in person with a local parts dealer. it's not something i'm looking forward to. i like talking with mechanics, not salesman.

i know when i'm stumped, and props right now got me. they must have something to do with math..................

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The install is easy. Just re-check all your measurements before you drill. Use some 3M sealant along with the sealant tape that comes with them.Make sure you use the excact size bits per instructions.

Thought i had a better pic but try this..
boat7.jpg