Still thinking about how to run wires...

byacey

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Still thinking about how to run wires...

So what gives when the incoming power to your house uses aluminum wire upstream of the meter and from the meter to your main panel?
Still standard materials for new construction.
Much of the 120v household wiring faulted for fires was due to inadequate terminal torque and or lack of the anti-corrosion grease now used was it not?
For a service line into a residence they select a metal for the connectors that is more or less inactive when in contact with aluminum, cadmium if I recall correctly. This is the only place you will find it used. Aluminum has a property called "cold flow" in that it tends to deform when pressure is exerted upon it, and even service wires could stand with a "tightening up" every once in awhile. I would avoid aluminum like the plague on a boat. In fact I would rather use copper for service line too.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't put anything in the rub rail. It is for rubbing and what happens if the wire breaks from a bump against the rail or something?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Yes a trolling motor is the reason for #6. As for not wanting to move the battery I get better balance and I have TMs and FFs on both ends of the boat. Why not go w/ 2 batteries? #1. I'm too cheap #2 I'm too lazy to put 2 batteries in it every time I want to go fishing.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

that "rub rail" in the photograph is plenty strong, no reason not to run wires through it - when ya say "rub rail" most folks picture a flexible piece of trim tacked on to the outside of the hull. Imagine the blow you'd have to take to damage that sucker.......I'd take that chance.

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

that "rub rail" in the photograph is plenty strong, no reason not to run wires through it - when ya say "rub rail" most folks picture a flexible piece of trim tacked on to the outside of the hull. Imagine the blow you'd have to take to damage that sucker.......I'd take that chance.

The rub rail is actually the gunnel . My 12' Appleby has 1 , also .
I chose to run plastic 1/2" conduit just below the gunnel , as I did not want to cut into my gunnel .

Do not use your hull as a ground plane , unless you want it to corrode at an exponential rate !
Even in fresh water you are courting disaster .
Also , have you ever seen what even a mild electrical arc will do to a piece of aluminum ?
It aint pretty !

Even uglier is any reaction involving aluminum and sulphuric acid !
Should you have a high-current short (much more likely with your hull as the ground ) ,your battery could very well explode , spraying sulphuric acid all over your hull .
Your boat will become an expensive sieve in very short order .

FYI the problems associated with aluminum wiring are 2 fold .
1) Different thermal expansion rates of aluminum versus copper (2:1) .
2) Galvanic corrosion caused by moisture , due to the dissimilar metals .

Otherwise , aluminum is still a dandy conductor , it is just extremely suceptible to galvanic corrosion .

Run seperate power and ground , properly fused , and you should be fine .