Still going strong

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wanted to post a thank you to the site.
Sea Rider and all the others that gave advice.
From rebuilding carburetors that looked so bad I thought they were dead , to answering prop questions and problems I found with the haul , the list goes on as I looked back today at all the post I made.
My 40 year old Monark 16/53 / 1992 , 40 hp. 2 stroke Yamaha project would have never got off to the start it did where it not for all of you. I keep it clean and never let it go long without at least running it on a hose to keep fresh fuel in everything. Performing my maintenance regularly and haven’t had to open the carburetors since I rebuilt them. (Again with your help) Being in Texas the boat has been used for shorter trips this summer due to the 100 💯 plus degrees we’ve had daily here.
It hasn’t let me down yet , always gets me back to the ramp.
Words can not express my appreciation!
The smile on my grandson’s face is what it’s all about. I have 12 grandchildren 6 months to 18 years old. They will all remember this old boat.
9E226CFF-DC64-4EF9-A728-D906ABBE9679.jpeg06D5E2F7-2DB0-4015-882A-0FFC271798BF.jpeg

topgun3690

Ensign
Have seen that lake but never been on it. It is on my list for sure. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of structure did you make? A buddy and I are gettin into crappie fishing and getting ideas for making some brush piles. Thanks.

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have seen that lake but never been on it. It is on my list for sure. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of structure did you make? A buddy and I are gettin into crappie fishing and getting ideas for making some brush piles. Thanks.
Three pallets tied together to make a triangle and weighted down. Easy.
But that crappie was caught here at Indian Lake where I live. The other pic was at Bastrop.
When I lived on Lake Limestone a friend of mine was a guide and I helped him sometimes. He would take a willow tree (size depending on the depth). Weights in the bottom of the tree and jugs in the top. Then sink it and it would stand straight up. Those trees would hold crappie at what ever depth in that spot rather than just having brush on the bottom. Most where sunk in timber areas and 20’-30’ deep and tied to a tree at the top. Also because of the way the limbs were pointing up we seldom got snagged.
Bastrop has crappie but I haven’t hunted for them , sorry.
Its more of a bass lake actually. Quantity not quality. Bunch of 2-3 pounders. There’s been a few hogs caught though. Right now early in the morning go to the water outlet and throw small top water or shallow running crank bait. Later they move to the main lake and dam area. The only lake I’ve seen black bass school like sand bass. Spoon works in the main lake. Gotta get on top of them fast. They run the shad to the top then back down deep. A lot of fun.
If you want to get serious about crappie Somerville is the lake for you. I have a map that shows where the C.O.E. put a bunch of structures all over the lake. Takes me about an hour pulling the boat from Smithville. Depending how far it is for you it’s worth a few days camping when they’re hitting good in the fall/winter.
Hope I helped you out or at least gave you some ideas.
If you don’t already you can sign up for fishing reports emailed to you by TPWD.

topgun3690

Ensign
Thanks for all the great info sir....Somerville is my go-to lake, along with Fayette Co. and Conroe. Not sure the C.O.E. allows structures to be dropped into the lake or not. Will have to check. I get the TPWD updates already. Thanks again!