Still fighting Virus

Fishbusters

Ensign
It seems that I can't clean the system as it locks up halfway through any scan I put on it. By all rights I never should have gotten this virus as everything was up to date and I had all patches in place that allow this to access my computer. I may have to go as far as the big format C command in order to get rid of the damned thing. Anyway if you don't see me for a while don't worry i will be back I just fried the internet connection or perhaps blew up the computer.

marty_scher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Still fighting Virus

just curious,<br /><br />Have you to tried to use a different anti-virus package to remove this virus?<br /><br />Sometimes a package has problems with removing a particular virus , while others may clean it just fine.<br /><br />I use Norton, but there should be many other good ones out there. Some of the good ones are free.<br /><br />How do you know you still have the virus?<br /><br />Marty

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Try to scan or repair while windows is running in "safe mode".

Bob Kimber

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Peterfishbuster,<br /><br />Roscoe's advice is well worth trying, I got a virus from my internet provider a year or so ago (before their own antivirus system kicked in). I use Norton Antivirus and even with up to date patches, I had to run the antivirus program in DOS to remove the virus, a lot of the new virus problems use / rewrite Windows system files which prevents the antivirus program from doing its job as some of these files / programs are in use when the computer is booted up in normal mode.<br /><br />Bob

petryshyn

Commander

Peterfishbuster<br /><br />Are you sure you have a virus? What are the symptoms/indications? Has you deleted the "temp internet files"? <br /><br />If it turns out that you do have a virus, take this opportunity to reformat and reload the computer, getting rid of all the old deadwood. It'll likely improve performance if haven't been done in a while...<br />Reloading is a good educational experience. There will be lots of good help from this forum aiding you, if you decide to go this route....<br /><br />>use the "fdisk /mbr" command after the format<br />>install "Zone Alarm" (free) protects against personal information getting out<br />>"Ghost" it when you are done (allows you to reload in minutes if this happens again)<br />>Install a router for future protection ($40.00)<br /><br />If you decide to go this route, be sure to write down the model of your NIC/modem, video card, sound card. Save all e-mails, favorites, and documents etc. Get drivers for your peripherals ahead of time... <br /><br /> :)

Homerr

Commander

What anti-virus software are you using?<br />What virus did you get..Do you know?<br /><br />I got a virus a while back from a computer I was working on...I didn't think about it and plugged the infected computer into my network.<br />Good think I had updated Norton running on my network, otherwise it would have spread further.<br /><br />There are some viruses out there that WILL disable Norton. I ran into it on the computer I was working on. It totally disabled Norton and prevented it from running and/or updating. <br /><br />It was nasty. You had to jump through all kinds of registry hoops to get rid of it. I ended up with format c:<br /><br />Please give more info on your problem!<br /><br />H.

sloopy

Commander

is this windows xp? or 98<br /><br />if you can get it to work and have xp download the most recent updates.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Start in safe mode and try to scan, also disable all items in msconfig before restarting in safe mode. Norton has a dos startup on the cd for System Works 2003. I suggest you buy it and make sure by the date that it was mastered within the last two months.....FlyBoyMark a/k/a Computer Power Builders<br />"A Direct Market Company"