Stiff throttle action

camalot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok this one has me a little stumped :)

I've read and re-read the manual but still have the problem, I know I'm going to be asked for the ID number's but sorry I don't have them:facepalm:

I've removed the control unit disconnected each cable and checked, the two cable are in good condition and move freely through the operating range . I checked the control unit it's self with out the cables attached and it moves freely.

I disconnected the lower shift cable and moved it by hand smooth but did have some resistance so I replaced it and checked the movement by hand after it was installed and it feels nice and smooth.

Assembled the whole thing back together as per manual... checked and re-checked, shifts just fine but still a little stiff, I remove the shift assist spring loader thing and it's as smooth as a smooth thing:eek:

Disassembled the shift assist and see three springs with plastic spacers, so I remove one spring just to see what happens.

Well bingo she shifts just fine, smooth and easy and there is still load on the shifting mech.

I know this is not the correct thing to be doing, but it just seems odd that everything works just fine now.

Can the shift assist thing go wrong and course this stiff throttle action?

Paul

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Stiff throttle action

Are you accomplishing this in or out of water? If you are doing this out of the water your not getting a true reading. The assembly is used to ease the shifting when the prop is under load.

camalot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First I was trying it on the trailer, but today I popped it into the water and all seemed good as gold. I'm wondering ( hoping:) ) that's why there are three separate springs and spacer for some adjustment to the load or you would have though one spring would have been cheaper to manufacture.

alldodge

Staff member

First I was trying it on the trailer, but today I popped it into the water and all seemed good as gold. I'm wondering ( hoping:) ) that's why there are three separate springs and spacer for some adjustment to the load or you would have though one spring would have been cheaper to manufacture.

So long as it is shifting good, and it sounds like it is, you won't hurt anything. The assist springs are used only to help the shifting out of gear back to neutral. It's doing the job and if it stopped, it would either die, stumble or be real hard to shift out of gear; it's not doing any of these, so hang on to the parts encase something shows up next season.