Stick on rub rail for aluminum boat?

@ReelChris

Cadet
Is there a stick on rub rail that would fit a '19 tracker 170? Dock pilings are wrecking the paint on the gunnel.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have never seen any "stick on" rub rail. But I have never seen all the rub rails offered either. Most are riveted on to the boat and then rubber insert fits tightly inside that aluminum riveted rail. And I don't know if you've priced rub railing yet, that stuff isn't cheap by any means. Both the aluminum channel that is usually riveted on AND the insert rubber insert are very very expensive. Just letting you know up front about the cost...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you would be better off with some UHMW tape over the existing gunwale rub strip to protect it. that way the plastic strip takes the abuse.

or get some touch-up paint and re-paint the gunwale rub strip once every few years.

@ReelChris

Cadet
Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. I'm looking for an adhesive backed rubber strip to protect the bare aluminum gunwale. Older trackers appear to have a rubber rub strip, this one doesn't have one. I've found adhesive backed edge molding. Would that work?

I'm just looking to protect the gunwale for the 10 minutes it spends bumping against dock pilings between loading and unloading. I've tried fenders but they don't stay in place on docks with pilings that jut out from the dock.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Post a picture or three of what you are dealing with for us to understand what you want. That way we all can be on the same page...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
adhesive backed rubber will most likely peel off

an adhesive backed non-skid like the UHMW tape I mentioned has a low enough co-efficient of friction that the adhesive will stay and the plastic will rub on what ever you hit.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My father was a mechanic and I remember him bringing home automotive peel and stick molding our car, many years ago. Not sure how it would hold up on a boat but might be worth while looking at automotive products?

@ReelChris

Cadet
Here's what I'm talking about with respect to the gunnel edge I'm trying to protect and the damage cause by random hardware sticking out of dock pilings. The gunnel sticks out from the freeboard approx 3" and is about 1.5" high.

Attachments

• photo338134.jpg
    photo338134.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1
  • photo338135.jpg
    photo338135.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo338136.jpg
    photo338136.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1

@ReelChris

Cadet
I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't see how .032" of plastic film is going to protect the aluminum at all. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just cut up a stick on keel guard and make a rub strip out of that.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't see how .032" of plastic film is going to protect the aluminum at all. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just cut up a stick on keel guard and make a rub strip out of that.

River runners cover the bottom of their tin boats with UMHW so the boat slips over the rocks at high speed. If it works for them, it will work when rubbing on a dock. And it won't look as ugly as a keel guard.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

you know nothing about low energy substrates, do you. the think of the uhmw as both a scratch guard (its actually used as the door edge protectors on nearly every car) and a bearing. instead of rubbing on rocks, hardware, pilings, etc, it will glide over. its also what is used to protect the edges of our equipment on yachts from getting banged up by tenders.

your choice, an elegant $20 solution where you will see the existing paint thru, or a $300 solution using an ugly keel guard that does the exact same thing.

and as GA pointed out, you should look how they make new zeeland jet boats. 1/8" of UHMW on the bottom to bounce off rocks at 100mph

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't even have to go to New Zealand. River boaters here in North Georgia scratch build tin jet boats with UMHW covered bottoms in their garage and fly up skinny rivers and streams. No rocks will stop them from catching fish during a tournament.

@ReelChris

Cadet
Good to know. But, 1/8" is 4 times thicker than the tape linked above. And, what happens in the case of compression force? Boat to boat contact or a metal dock in a storm? Given the option, I'd prefer a more traditional rub rail.