sterring arm

jearl

Seaman Apprentice
spent some time today trying to isolate the fre play I have in my old 260 pre alpha mercuisers steering(78 glasply). I'm thinking it might not be the small splines on the transom pivot after all and there seems to be a lot of play at the screw/bolt that connect a linkage rod between the end of the ram on the power steering and the arm that comes out of the back of the transom late. looks wallowed out to me. do you think I can still find this part or might this be the same as on some of the newer units? if nothing else I can drill out and put in a bushing on one end but the other looks to hace a tapered screw that is countersunk on the arm. thanks in advance you guys are great.

Jim
Tacoma, WA

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: sterring arm

Wallowed out?....
Do you mean elongated?
A sleeve is possible, but you would need to evaluate how much metal would be left after drilling for said sleeve.....
A fatigue failure at that spot would be bad......:eek:

jearl

Seaman Apprentice
Re: sterring arm

I can spell-really LOL sorry but yes elongated would be a better description. I agree with you on the stress issue and would prefer to find a new replacement. a full lock turn when not expected could ruin a whole day!