sterndrive oil type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

layzeeboi

Cadet
I am kind of new to boating so...i need some help.i have a 1985 bayliner capri volvo 4cyl engine with volvo penta sterndrive.i dont know what type of sterndrive oil i should put. There is a label on the back that says PZ NR:27114392D. Is that the engine type? Any help would be apreciated:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: sterndrive oil type?

30W engine oil.

layzeeboi

Cadet
sterndrive lower unit oil change

sterndrive lower unit oil change

i have a 1985 bayliner 4cyl volvo engine with volvo penta sterndrive. im planning to change my oil for the sterndrive lower unit before heading out to the lake in a few weeks. i just want to know what type of gear oil i should put. My PZNR: 27114392D. I did some research and it say to use the same the engine oil which is 10W-40, but im not sure ..i dont want to put the wrong type of oil. im not sure if 10w-40 is not thick enough for the sterndrive lower unit. Thanks a lot:D

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: sterndrive lower unit oil change

Re: sterndrive lower unit oil change

Hey layzeeboi, welcome aboard!! I have moved this over tho the I/O section to get a more focused response. Good luck!

Edit: It looks like Don answered your original thread. I merged the two after finding that . . . ;)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I don't think Volvo ever called for 10w-40......

Straight 30 weight as Don said in the engine and drive.

Don S

I don't think Volvo ever called for 10w-40......

Straight 30 weight as Don said in the engine and drive.

10W40 is what the manual says, there was a later service bulletin that changed it to straight 30W, and actually went back to 10W40 in a later one. Either will work, I just like a straight 30W in drives.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Don....another bit of info i need to remember.
I agree too....i like using straight 30 in most cases anyway.:)

Don S

Keep in mind, that the engine oil is ONLY used in the single prop drives and only the 290 STYLE drives. The DuoProp and all SX (single prop) and DPS (DuoProp) drives, use different gear lubes, and NOT engine oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.