stern light corrosion

iwhitevt

Seaman Apprentice
My new boat has one of the plug in-out stern lights. The problem is, after my third trip, the plug has already started corroding so badly, that the light has quit. I always (well, 3 times) wash the socket with soap and fresh water then wd40 both socket and light after use. Any suggestions other than a permanent light,to help prevent this corrosion would be appreciated. Thanks

rwise

Captain
Re: stern light corrosion

You might use a little vasoline on the contacts, it is water proof and doesn't conduct. Maybe someone will hav a better idea.<br />Richard

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off, is it new to you or brand new? if its brand new then........<br /><br />How long of time period have you had it? How/where is the boat stored when not used? as it sounds (couple of months and you are sure its a corrosion problem) then it may be a galvonic current induced by your electrical system(not likely if prof. installed) or corrosion due to moisture from boat cover/runoff rain,etc or not corrosion the problem but bad connection/bad bulb filament. Is light on a toggle switch controlled circuit? Do you turn off batteries when not in use.... and of course the obvious- Are you sure it is not the light bulb inside the stern light? A good way to check is (1) check for power at socket if good, then (2) put stern light in it's socket. Take a multimeter and see if you are getting power where the light bulb inserts. This will tell you where you are losing connection and if you have power to both then your bulb is faulty..... Good luck

iwhitevt

Seaman Apprentice

Beaux, it is an '03 Maycraft 18cc bought new a month and a half ago. The bad connection is definetly at the socket- when I get back to the dock the socket is full of green corrosion that was not there when I put in. As of now, I haven't installed a battery disconnect yet, but the corrosion process seems to take place while on the water with the lights on. Maybe I need to goop-up the socket with something to prevent water from leaking in? thanks

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

My light is simlar type to yours, and I dont use any "goop" to prevent water intrusion and have no corrosion problems(and I fish Nacl H20 almost exclusively)... Just to make clear- you clean terminals spotless before a boating trip and then go out for a few hours on the water and when you return back to dock the light socket is already full of corrosion again and not working? That is EXTREMELY aggressive corrosion... I would think you have some sort of bad/faulty conection in the electrical system that is causing there to be an induced electrolysis current flowing thru your system... I will defer to the guys who really know and love this kind of troubleshooting though... sorry i could not help..... :confused:

iwhitevt

Seaman Apprentice

thanks beaux, I dropped a line to Maycraft earlier, maybe they will help.

D

DJ

iwhitevt,<br /><br />Do you have a lot of movement on the light pole when it is plugged in?<br /><br />If so, this movement could be making and breaking the connection as you operate the boat-thus arcing and corrosion.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Someone may have to correct me on this, but to the best of my recollection, WD-40 is an insulator.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry. I was interrupted before finishing. Had same problem on my boat and solved only after buying a good quality light [Perko]. Sometimes a really good boat is equipped with stuff that just dosn't hold up. Never have understood this thinking.

iwhitevt

Seaman Apprentice

actually i believe it is a perko- and the wd-40 is just for water dispertion and to coat it to keep it from corroding any while in storage. also started spraying it down after the first trip.<br /><br />the light doesn't have much play- but that is after i tighten down the twist-lock slider on the the light pole.

SCO

Lieutenant

Can you find it and give us a link?