stern Leak? bad idle = Old gas?

tankdriver

Cadet
I have a 1976 Merc 140hp. We finally got it running. We put in new starter, silonoid, condenser and point contact. The boat has sat for two years, I did put in Sta-bile 2yrs ago. Its runs great with the troddle up a bit, but will die if at idle. Is it because of the old gas? What do I put in with the gas to help it? Theres still 3/4 a tank of gas in it!!! lol.

Also in the center of the picture where I circled is it supposed to have cool water running out of it from there?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thumpar

Admiral
Re: stern Leak? bad idle = Old gas?

The water should come from the prop or from the transom around the area of where the trim hydraulic lines come out. Looks like you might have bad bellows.

Psychosis

Cadet

Looks like the water is coming out of the exhaust bellows. The bellows probably has a crack in it but it won't affect its operation any. Not a big deal right now.

The old gas is probably what is making it run so bad. The only way to fix the gas is drain it and put new gas in.

tankdriver

Cadet

How do I get 3/4 tank of gas out? Hot water was coming out of prop and exaust spots. We ran it for 10 mins the engine never got hotter then 110. If the bellows are bad, why shouldn't i fix them right away? what do they do?

tankdriver

Cadet

If the bellows are bad, why shouldn't i fix them right away? what do they do?

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, by any and all means shall you replace the bellows, or you will have water INSIDE the boat when you splash down on your maiden voyage. Also, pour 2 bottles of Sea Foam into your tank and take boat (on trailer) for a spin around the block to blend it in well. Then run motor for a half hour. That should make a noticeable improvement.

tankdriver

Cadet

Thanks! I will look into it. We've had the boat about 6 yrs. We just hadn't used it in almost two. I hope bellows dont cost to much or are hard to replace!!! :-/

Psychosis

Cadet

The exhaust bellows is the lower most rubber tube. The u-joint bellows is the upper, larger tube. The shift cable bellows is on the right side of the drive around the shift cable.

A busted exhaust bellows won't let water into the boat. It will just let the exhaust go out the bellows instead of through the middle of the prop. Water can go back through the prop and into the exhaust bellows anyway by default. My exhaust bellows has been cracked all year and no water in boat yet. A cracked shift bellows or u-joint bellows WILL let water into the boat though. They sell a different exhaust bellows that isn't a rubber tube but just an open ended cup that slides onto the boat side only. You should be fine without fixing it for now unless you just have to have it fixed.