Stern Drive transom lower right bolt fell out

dmiles452

Seaman
Is there a way to reinstall this bolt? It would come thru the transom down in the bowels behind the motor so I dont even know if I could see where it goes. Anyone else have this issue. This is on a 1989 mercruser outdrive.

Bondo

Staff member
Is there a way to reinstall this bolt? It would come thru the transom down in the bowels behind the motor so I dont even know if I could see where it goes. Anyone else have this issue. This is on a 1989 mercruser outdrive.
Ayuh,..... Of course it's replaceable,..... Not easily though,....

It's an aluminum stud, with a nut, 'n washer inside the hull, 'n the acorn anode on the outside,....

Removing the motor is pretty much mandatory,.... What motor ya got,..??

dubs283

Vice Admiral
It'll be tough to access the inside area to properly reinstall the through bolt. As stated engine removal is necessary to complete the task efficiently

I would also be concerned as to why the bolt is missing. First thought is that the bolt itself corroded to the point of failure. Have seen this in the past on more than one occasion and in every case the transom was rotted

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I would also be concerned as to why the bolt is missing. First thought is that the bolt itself corroded to the point of failure. Have seen this in the past on more than one occasion and in every case the transom was rotted
This was the case in mine. Transom had localized rot along both of the bolts. I was able to clean out the rot, fill the holes with epoxy and redrill. Although if I did it again I'd fill with 5200 instead.

dmiles452

Seaman
This was the case in mine. Transom had localized rot along both of the bolts. I was able to clean out the rot, fill the holes with epoxy and redrill. Although if I did it again I'd fill with 5200 instead.
In filling the holes with epoxy did you remove the engine?

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
you will be removing the motor to get access to the area as well as to make sure that you do not have a rotten transom.

Critical and yet accurate post. If that bolt breaks off, there was inertia and most likely a rotted transom. It happened to me when I struck a sand bar, I broke off that same lower bolt, and by that it broke a piece of the transom mount where that bolt broke off.
I had to remove everything mechanically and redo my transom.

dmiles452

Seaman
wow!! pulling the engine was not something I had even considered. I have had this boat for two years and all I have done is throw money at it. Seemed like a reasonable deal for the year boat. The engine was just out before I bought it.

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did the bolt fall out or break out? And is your transom mount in tact still.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
welcome to one of the most expensive hobbies on the planet. slightly more expensive than auto racing, just under airplane ownership and horse racing
I mean, it can be done for cheap, depending on how you value your time. I'm going to add up all of my parts costs for the last 16 years and see what it ends up as.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I mean, it can be done for cheap, depending on how you value your time. I'm going to add up all of my parts costs for the last 16 years and see what it ends up as.
Just make sure the wife is out of town when you do this … as far as boat ownership goes I think most folks on this site are doing on the cheap compared to just handing the keys to the marina. What ever number you come up with others who don’t spin their own wrenches ar 3-5 x more for same stuff.