Step down butt connectors

rpddoc

Cadet
Does anyone know off the top of the head where I can get some step down butt connectors for 6gauge - 8 gauge online. Haven't had the time to go to various boating repair shops around my town. Ancorproducts.com doesn't list them. Any suggestible websites would be appreciated.<br /><br />TakeEm

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Step down butt connectors

Step-down butt connectors don't seem to be made for those wire sizes since none are readily found.<br /><br />Don't know what you're using those wires for, but presume you do know that 6 AWG has significantly more ampacity than 8 AWG (120 amps vs. 80 amps). So be sure that you're not going to try to put 6 AWG worth of amps through 8 AWG wire by connecting the two together. If your load requires 6 AWG ampacity, your best bet is to run one continuous 6 AWG wire from source to load.<br /><br />If you won't have more than 8 AWG worth of amps and you want to stay with the different size wires then IMHO you've just got a few options:<br /> (1) Use the correct size ring lug on each wire and connect both to a common terminal, like a battery post, or<br /> (2) Nut and bolt the two ring lugs together, then wrap with electrical tape, or<br /> (3) Use a larger butt connector (for 4 AWG) and stick both the 6 AWG and 8 AWG completely through the connector so that the stripped ends show on opposite sides, then properly crimp and adhesive-lined shrink tube over the connector. Diagrams on the Ancor website show the 4 AWG butt connector to be 21mm all the way through, and the 6 and 8 AWG to be 13mm and 8mm respectively, so this should work.<br /><br />Whatever you choose to do, just be sure to make a real good crimp to avoid any high resistance connections that cause heating when the amps are flowing. Good luck.

rpddoc

Cadet

I'm wanting to rewire my boat. I was using 6awg to run from battery in stern to TM in bow. My factory wiring on Minn Kota tm is 8awg. Total wire lenth I figure will be about 20 feet: Bateries - Master switch - TM and 12 volt accessory outlet. Then I have to run a ground back to battey. According to Ancorproducts.com, my wire should be 6awg due to length/amps being pulled with a 3% voltage drop. That's why I wanted the step down connector. Any better ways of mating the two would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />TakeEm

rpddoc

Cadet

pchonda, I just reread your post. I didn't realize that 8awg will handle 80 amps. I guess a 3-8% voltage drop is acceptable. That makes life a little easier as I'm only running a TM and accessory outlet for spotlight. Plans are to have one deep cell for TM only. Then one deep cell for 12 volt accessory outlet (spotlight), depth finder, aerator, navigation lights and as a backup for TM. TM and accessory outlet will be controlled through a 1,2,both,off battery switch.<br />Thanks for your help.<br /><br />TakeEm

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

TakeEm - We don't use electric trolling motors for our ocean fishing here, so I'll be the first to admit I know very little about 'em. But I did look at the Minn Kota website and saw that all their bow mount 12V TMs have max amps over 40. Max amps will normally be drawn only when you've got the pedal to the metal. I'm guessing here, but you don't run flat out continuously do you? If you run at slower speeds, or even just intermittently (off/drifting/anchored?), then the amps heating the wire is certainly not the concern. The 8 AWG will handle the 40+ max amps easily; see the ampacity chart:<br /><br />Ampacity Chart<br /><br />The concern is the voltage drop giving the TM less voltage to run on. The 8 AWG should carry 40 amps with a 10% drop, meaning a fully charged (13.6V) battery will give the TM about 12.2V to work on. A battery with 12V will give the TM about 10.8V so you can see that the TM may not put out rated thrust as the day wears on. If you don't run the TM continuously or at max speed, this is less of a concern.<br /><br />If you're still thinking of using 6 AWG from the battery to the 8 AWG on the TM, that should be perfectly acceptable since the load is so small (relatively). Doing so will minimize voltage drop concerns, as long as you make a good crimp where you connect the wires (see the 3rd option in my previous post, or install an outlet (6 AWG from battery) and plug (8 AWG from TM) arrangement). Good luck.

thejeepster02

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check with an Electrical supply house (not a hardware store or builders Supply) and ask for a split bolt connector. This is a mechanical connector using a wrench that will take two wire sizes. its not insulated so you will have to tape the connection. should only run about 3 to 5 bucks.<br />good luck...

duck-n-pond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Split bolt will do, but if you know someone in the telecommunications or electrical industry, see if you can get "C-Tap" connecters (less bulky that splitbolt). Thats what is commercially used on wires of this size. They are crimped connectors, so you will have to borrow the correct crimper also. Electrical suppliers/electricians may have these also. Like split bolt, they will have to be sealed with electrical tape over a rubber vulcanizing tape to keep it water tight AND use electrical anti-corrostion grease on the wires before crimping. If you are REALLY frugal or can't get splitbolt or C-Tap, you can solder it, but I find this corrodes much, much faster because of the acids req'd and different metals (wouldn't do this myself).

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The easiest way is to use an 8 gage splice and trim the 6 gauge wire down to fit in the socket and solder the connection. Make sure you clean the joint with alcohol to remove any flux reside that may be present and coat the joint with silicon and your done.

rpddoc

Cadet

Thanks to all that have replied. Some great ideas have been given. I'll be getting to this soon. I wish I wasn't working so much. I need time to play with my boat and fish.<br /><br />TakeEm