Steering Slack and Stiff Steering

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just put my boat in the water for the first time this year, today. Yeah, in September :(

The steering is very tight. I suspect it just need a lot of fresh grease. Is there a specific type of grease you need to use for steering (like suspension grease) or is it just regular old thick marine grease? Is there any sane way to grease the steering if I don't own a grease gun? Or is a grease gun required?

Also there is a lot of slack in the wheel. Way more than there ever used to be. Is this likely to be the same problem, lack of grease? Or is this a totally different problem entirely?

The steering unit is a planetary gear model, with the built in clutch that locks the steering when you're not actively turning the wheel.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Buy yourself a grease gun! There is no way I can think of to get grease inside working parts without going thru the grease nipples.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
Also, on the steering helm, the cable connects to one side and on the other side there should be a plastic tube that screws onto the helm. When the cable is pulled through the helm it goes into that tube. Put some grease in that tube also. If you grease both ends, it stands a better chance of the grease working its way throughout the entire cable. Grease, work back and forth, more grease, until it won't take any more grease.

l008com

I'e watched a few videos where they are greasing all the fittings on the motor with a grease gun, but in the comments, everyone is saying how those fittings are for the motors turning pivot and the trim system, not for the actual steering cable/rod. Is there a fitting somewhere specifically for getting grease into the cable housing? And into the helm itself. I was able to located my exact model, it's a UFlex T73FC, but I'm not finding much about it on the internet other than where to buy.

Correction, I did find the official Uflex "installation and maintenance manual" online. It says every once in a while tighten all the bolts and wach the components with soapy water. Thats it. Nothing about lubricating. I'm assuming the stiffness is from gunk in the cable but maybe stiff steering is caused by the motors turning pivot getting gunked up? This boat has a history of the original steering getting extremely stiff and needing to be greased up, but even then it would turn easily one way, and extremely difficult the other way. BUT that was the original steering system that I tore out 10 years ago and replaced with this uflex system. It has been SIGNIFICANTLY better until this year.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
What motor do you have? There should be grease fittings on the steering tube on the motor. I told you how to grease the helm end of the cable. You can rub grease on the motor end of the cable by simply rubbing grease on the silver rod that comes out of the motor when you turn it.

l008com

90hp 1980's mercury. There are fittings but are they actually steering fittings or are they trim system fittings?

Regarding the rod, isn't the seal going to wipe that grease right off when I turn? Is any of it actually going to get inside the cable housing?

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
Also on the port side of the motor, you can remove that big nut where the steering cable rod comes through the motor and replace it with one that has a grease fitting on it. They work great! Bass Pro sells them.

l008com

Also on the port side of the motor, you can remove that big nut where the steering cable rod comes through the motor and replace it with one that has a grease fitting on it. They work great! Bass Pro sells them.
If you start squeezing grease in there with a gun, will it have a place it can release out of somewhere?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Fittings on motor are for the swivel, and the tilt tube.

The steering cable is sealed, non serviceable.

The helm can be greased, but you're not getting grease into the cable sheath.

You need to disconnect the cable from the helm, and the motor. This involves removing the steering rod from the motor's tilt tube. While you have it removed, clean it out with a wire brush and apply grease inside the tube.

Now, does the motor swing back and forth easily with just a finger or two? If not you have caked grease in the motor's swivel.

Does the helm (wheel) turn easily?

Does the cable slide inside the sheath? If not, REPLACE the cable.
Once the sheath and liner are damaged inside, they are done.