Steering question

bvav22

Cadet
Hey guys.

Im pretty new to out boards, just purchased my first not even a year ago. i picked up a Johnson QD-14 in very good condition for my 11ft inflatable. i recently came across a center console for steering the boat which i though was a neat idea i would consider. But if i want to attach a steering wheel to my motor (just wheel not throttle control)..... what do i have to buy to control the motors turning? i have NO idea.....

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Steering question

So you want to steer in the middle of the boat but the throttle wills still be on the engine??

Very very bad idea, it would be like having the steering wheel in the front seat and the gas pedal in the back seat of your car, I cna't even begin to imagine all the problems that could cause, NO don't do it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

just to set that 1953 10 hp up for steering would cost you in the neighborhood of $400-450. as the inflatable would have to have a teleflex system, and the convertion system to connect to the motor. then as said above you would need throttle and shift, another $150-200.

bvav22

Cadet

and i just googled the teflex system, which seems to be a hydrolic system.... isnt there something mechanical like a cable system that was used to steer the motor?

bvav22

Cadet

oh wow, thanks for that... the teleflex system is crazy prices. i saw some for $779.

how did people steer outboards back in the 50's?