Steering problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robby73

Cadet
I bought a Mako 171 a couple of weeks ago. Took the boat out and found the steering to be strange. The guy I bought the boat from told me it had hydraulic steering. I didn't completely understand what he was talking about because the last boat I owned was a Cobia and the steering was I guess direct linkage. Anyway , when I took the boat I had to continously turn to the left to keep the boat going straight. Which was weird to me because the steering wheel never hit a stop when I turned it to the left. The steering system is a BayStar system and I get the idea behind it but never have I ever steered something where the steering wheel never hit a stop.
I talked to the previous owner who hinted that I needed to use the trim tabs to help with the " drift" or the system may be low on oil, hyd fluid. Haven't checked that out yet but I would like to hear other folks opinion on this. I will check the fluid level and I may try to bleed the system to see if there is any air trapped.
But I would appreciate any feedback as to why I would have to keep turning the steering wheel left to keep the boat straight would be appreciated. One side note I did notice when I was trailering the boat that I had to allow for the drift when I moved onto the trailer.

alldodge

Staff member
The steering needs fluid and bleed or there is a problem with it. In most cases there is a problem because it shouldn't need either. Your probably going to find that repairs will be needed

Hydraulic steering is great when it works.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Could his boat be unbalanced, heavy on one side?

Trim tabs were mentioned. Are there in fact trim tabs and are they adjusted properly?

What about that adjustable tab under the drive, isn't that supposed to correct the steering?

Robby73

Cadet
Could his boat be unbalanced, heavy on one side?

Trim tabs were mentioned. Are there in fact trim tabs and are they adjusted properly?

What about that adjustable tab under the drive, isn't that supposed to correct the steering?
I don't see the boat being unbalanced. It was just me and my wife and she either sat beside me or on the front center seat. I am not sure about adjusting the trim tabs. They are adjustable but I didn't notice the boat listing one way or another.

Robby73

Cadet
The steering needs fluid and bleed or there is a problem with it. In most cases there is a problem because it shouldn't need either. Your probably going to find that repairs will be needed

Hydraulic steering is great when it works.
I looked at the hyd fill port today. I didn't see any fluid. All I saw were the metal spacers thru the port. Sorry , I don't know anything about hyd steering so I don't know what those are. I did fill the system until fluid ran slightly out of the fill port. I cycled the steering , going back and forth all the way from left to right, about 10 times or more. It didn't look like the fluid went down any. Is there any way to check the steering without going in the water. Its suppose to start getting cold here in Ga and I don't know when I will get back out in the boat.

Robby73

Cadet
Update on steering. Well I have bled the system several times. Looks like I got all the air out of the system, but I still have to turn the wheel to the left to keep the boat straight. Something else that I have failed to mention is that I can move the engine from starboard to port by hand and the steering wheel does not move. I can move the engine with the wheel but the engine will drift when its running. I'm not wondering if its either the helm assy or the steering assy. Anyone know how to tell which one it might be

Status
Not open for further replies.