Steering Problem...

Toploader

Recruit
Hi everyone, I am attempting to help my brother resolve a steering problem he has on his 17' Mark Twain / 85 Evinrude. He installed an aftermarket power trim/lift unit and in doing so, has set the engine back away from the transom in such a way that it has changed the alignment of the steering cable / rod and has put the steering in a serious bind. It looks as if the bracket on the front of the engine will need to be extended forward to correct this however it seems that doing so will decrease the amount the engine can be raised due to the angle of the splash tray which slopes back toward the engine. Have any of you ever encountered this? I am wondering if there is a kit available to correct this?? Thanks for any suggestions! Much appreciated!

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Steering Problem...

You might try longer cables to get a more gentle curve back there at the back. Looking at it and visualizing a foot or so longer cable should tell ya if that will work or not.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ditto on the longer cable. Very common. Changing the steering geometry is not a good idea.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> on mounting some of the CMC units I have had to alter the cable exit at the splash well and use a longer cable and make brackets to hold the cable on the outside of the transom. some of the things we have to do :) :) . and no there are no real instructions :)

ivar

Petty Officer 1st Class

What Rodbolt says. Had to move the cable exit 5" aft when installing my CMC PT-130. The cable was long enough so I didn't have to use a longer cable.