Steering issue

Hamr25

Cadet
On the lake last weekend and p/s began to be difficult to turn going left. Turned right no problem.
VP sx-m outdrive, no system leaks, taunt belt, full reservoir, seems to turn the same lock to lock with engine not running.
I’ve disconnected steering cable and it moves like butter lock to lock. Outdrive seems to manually move very easily toward port side of boat and much more difficult to starboard with actuator connected. With everything connected and engine not running steering is one strong arm both directions lock to lock. Engine running steering is effortless to the right and very difficult to the left. Plus there is a very light squeal and engine rpm is being dragged down whilst trying to turn left. Any ideas?? Bad actuator? Clogged hose? The flat on the steering cable isn’t vertical, however, in the three seasons I’ve had this boat there have been zero steering issues until last weekend. Also, glad to be here and I have been able to solve and learn many things via this forum without having to post. Looking for some help now. Thank you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Could be a cable issue, could be an actuator issue

Moved to VP forum

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you remove the cable, make sure it's smooth in the sheath

If there is sticking and binding, it won't move the pilot shuttle property

Hamr25

Cadet
If you remove the cable, make sure it's smooth in the sheath

If there is sticking and binding, it won't move the pilot shuttle property
Well it seems smooth. It was well greased also. So you’re saying remove it from where it goes through the actuator?? I’ll check. Maybe I can try to engage the actuator manually also idk.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it not the steering RAM? Pinned to the back of the transom.
Mine went some years back and required swapping out.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Long shot, but the outer sheath of the steering cable must be free to move about 1” port and starboard where it connects to the rack. Have you tie wrapped anything to the cable or jammed a cooler or something else back by where the cable makes it’s bend to attach to the rack?

Hamr25

Cadet
Is it not the steering RAM? Pinned to the back of the transom.
Mine went some years back and required swapping out.
I’m leaning towardsthe same thing. Were your Symptoms the same as mine. Trying to assess before firing off the parts cannon and getting that actuator out is gonna suck. All the interior and starboard side exhaust will have to be pulled to access it. Probably should get a rebuild kit in order tho

Hamr25

Cadet
Long shot, but the outer sheath of the steering cable must be free to move about 1” port and starboard where it connects to the rack. Have you tie wrapped anything to the cable or jammed a cooler or something else back by where the cable makes it’s bend to attach to the rack?
Thanks for this response. The long shot from left field that no one thinks about can be brilliant. Cable is isolated where it makes its bend. It’s behind a bulkhead so to speak and there is not access for a cooler or something of that nature to get shoved back there. I will be sure to look and make sure it’s moving as you describe.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Thanks for this response. The long shot from left field that no one thinks about can be brilliant. Cable is isolated where it makes its bend. It’s behind a bulkhead so to speak and there is not access for a cooler or something of that nature to get shoved back there. I will be sure to look and make sure it’s moving as you describe.
Yes this is rare, but I’ve seen a lot of stuff tie strapped to steering, throttle and shift cables. Never do that those 3 cables need to be able to move small amounts.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you do have to change the actuator remove the exhaust on both sides, for sure get a cotter pin extractor to get all 4 out. The 2 big ones can be seized in there…