Steering feedback

Liv2fish2

Cadet
I have an 1988 Wellcraft 192 Classic with a OMC Cobra drive (V8 - 350). I am starting to notice more and more steering feedback lately. This is especially noticeable at slow idle speeds. My outdrive appears straight and undamaged. I am thinking that I may have one or two problems. The steering cables wearing out, & the gimble bearing possibly wearing out. I have seen newer replacement cables that advertise "No feedback". Does anyone know of a decent retrofit/replacement "no feedback" cable system for the OMC Cobras, or does anyone have any other advise for reducing steering feedback? Thanks.

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: Steering feedback

Did you check to see if your trim tab/anode is corroded off? If your problem slowly got worse could be.

FatBack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now I'm really sorry that's a shifing problem site and you got a steering bug. Some times, depending on what you got, it could just be slack that's beginning to develop in the rack and pinion due to wear and tear. My experience with rotary steering is that they just get hard to turn when they get old and jam up.

Liv2fish2

Cadet

Well, I checked the trim tab anode and it is fine. Checked the steering helm housing and everything appears tight. Also checked the steering bar linkages, also tight. The hydraulic fluid in the primary reservoir was a little low, so I filled that up. I doubt that will solve anything. At this point, I still can not pinpoint the exact cause. It is either wear in the gimble area, output shaft, or possibly the engine mount dampers failing. I will try and check most of these this weekend. I wouldn't think that those would be so much of a problem as a new engine was installed a year ago and everything was checked then by proper mechanics.