Steering cylinder leaks, steering wheel loose, boat goes everywhere

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This boat have 2 inboards mercruiser 1989, 30 foot boat, the steering was loose not limit to left or right, yesterday went for a ride boat going everywhere, steering wheel spin but not moving the hidraulic cylinder in back, came back to dock and find out a leak on the cylinder, if I replaced the seals the steering wheel will have a limit because doesnt see that is the case, new boat for me.

Attachments

• 20201027_193606.jpg
    20201027_193606.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

alldodge

Staff member
if I replaced the seals the steering wheel will have a limit because doesnt see that is the case, new boat for me.

Can you clarify what you mean by this statement?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
sorry your 32 eyar old new to you boat has problems

based on only the picture (because your thread statement is a bit ambiguous).....you have hydraulic steering between the helm and the twins in back and you should have hydraulic assist on the two steering actuators in the back assuming the twins are bigger than 3.0 liter.

if you lost a hose like you described, you wont have any steering. you need to repair your steering setup between the helm and the slaves, and then you need to spend the 2-3 hours bleeding the system before you use the boat.

betayv

Hi the boat has 2 motors 350 volvos direct drive not outdrive they installed a system only one cilinder for both engines, i will take a better picture of the setup.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you still have a hydraulic helm. so you need to look up the servicing and bleeding of a seastar hydraulic helm and slave cylinder

betayv

This is what I have in the boat before the cylinder was leaking the steering wheel didnt have a limit or stop, like when you turn your car to right or left the steering wheel stop after the tire turn.

alldodge

Staff member
Its not stopping because the hydraulic fluid is low and it has air in the system. After bleeding it will work as before

betayv

Ok, to add oil is behind the helm is a small cap, I cant see any fluid tank.