steering cable

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know where I can get some steering cable for my 65 cobia? Also, how to put it on.

Thanks,

Pam

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: steering cable

Hay Pam, great to hear from you. what does your boat currently have? the teleflex cable and system in the iboats marine store are priced very competitively. let me know what you have, and we will get into the install.

this is a rotary steering helm
rotary.jpg

this is a rack steering helm
rack.jpg

tashasdaddy

just saw you other post, the pictures show a rack system, them motor does not have a tilt tube for mounting the system. you will have to use a transom adapter to connect the cable to the motor. i highly recommend changing to a no feed back rotary steering system. it will fit the same hole in the dash, and much easier to install. can you get me a picture of what is in the splash well area so i can figure out the connection hardware you need.

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

Hi

Got the steering put back on. Still have not had it in the water. Have been waitng for a mechanic to work on the motor. I got the harness put on and then had the carburator redone, water pump replaced and now he says the motor housing was melted and am waiting for the part. This has been a 9 month process. The painting has not been done. The gut who redid the transom only painted the rear deck. There seems to be a very limited amount of fiberglass painters here in Little Rock and very expensive. What is this rust o leum process? Can I do it? Would this boat be able to be done with paint vs. a fiberglass guy doing it for $1500?

tashasdaddy

Pam, i have painted several boats with oil base rustoleum. they are all holding up very well, if you scratch it on the dock, etc, easy to touch up. clean the boat really well, get a short nap 4 inch roller, and roll away, a small brush for tight places, the paint pretty much levels it's self. it is something you can do yourself. it will take 2 coats. paint cost $30.00 and my time. this is a 1966 Sportcraft. very similar to the Cobia.

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,

I want to try. Of course she won't be pea green anymore. The guy who did the transon, etc only painted the back. It looks good but definately not a match. He would not finish painting withoput paying more money. I paid him 2500 big ones for the stringers and the transom.

Would it be ok to paint over that. It is nice and shiny. Also, do you have to scuff up the surface to usr this paint?

Did you read my mail about the engine? I am at $700 with it. I am going to put new carpet in and the seat back in. Re zipper the top. Might try to spray it like you did. I will definately post pix. I bought a house boat and need Queenie to get me out there to runabout. I am dedicated but running low on funds for her. What color do you think would look good?

Gratefully,

Pam

tashasdaddy

Pam i did not spray, used short nap roller, and brush. the shiney finish needs to be scuffed up. the dead glass is fine to paint over. a red hull, with almond top side would look great on her. but i really like my Forest Green, and almond top. suggest not using pure white, it glares too much.

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

She has an off white hull now. You are right, those colors would be great. My houseboat is almond/maroon. Does the rustoleum stand up to boats stored in the water?