Steering Cable Removel

kkgman

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 11, 2006
Messages
2
I'm trying replace the steering cable on 1997 Bayliner 17.5ft with a 90hp Mercury/Force outboard on it . How do I left the motor up to remove the steering cable? Do I disconnect the motor from the transom or tilt tube? Can I remove the cable without removing the outboard?
 

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
248
Re: Steering Cable Removel

You do not have to take the motor off, just take the two bolt out of the mounting bracket and loosen the two clamps on top and you can grab the motor by the bottom and lift it up. Then just support it with a block of wood or have someone hold it till the old one is out. Mine came out very easy and the new one went right back in. Just lift the motor enough to let cable clear boat, not far at all. good luck.
 

kkgman

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 11, 2006
Messages
2
Re: Steering Cable Removel

I need to move the motor toward the bow. Can I support the motor and slide the tilt tube over then pull the cable out?
 

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
248
Re: Steering Cable Removel

My motor is an 85hp force and I picked it up with one hand and moved it to where I had to so I could pull out the cable. Just support it at the level need then you can get into the boat and move it so the cable will come out. On mine I took off the large rubber grommet and that made it easier also. The grommet that everything goes through is restricting your movement too. Just make sure the motor is loose from the transom<br />Good luck
 
Top