Steering (cable pully)

Wiley9042

Recruit
Can anyone post a video or tell me how to get my steering back the right way? I have a Mirrocraft 14' boat with a 35 evinrude and have the old cable pully steering. No shop around here will work on it (they say it is usless and unsafe spend $500 and upgrade to this) I have full right turn now but only 1/4 left. I have tried many ways to fix but always end up spooling out on my wheel. Ty in advance

Wiley9042

Recruit
Re: Steering (cable pully)

Ty so much for the help it finally clicked after looking at some pics man it makes a guy feel stupid over suck a simple thing lol. At any rate am going to take her out this weekend and try out the steering thanks again

kfa4303

Banned

Good luck. Be safe. Keep us posted. Vroom-vroom!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

On the comment you received about that type steering being unsafe, for 10's of years rudders, hence engines were steered from a dash mounted drum on a shaft with a steering wheel attached that routed cables down the sides of boats with guide pulleys to come out at the rudder and steer the boat. I had one growing up and never had a problem with it nor felt it unsafe. Main thing was to keep tension on the cables and that is what the springs were for. When the steering got sloppy, if it did, you just loosened your cable clamp at the spring and tightened the cable till the spring was slightly depressed and tighten the clamp. Walk in the park.

Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Those cable and pulley systems were used for years on motors 50HP and less. It is a good idea to make sure the mounting hardware is secure to the hull. One spring only is advised to keep the motor from a possibility of fishtailing.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Those cable and pulley systems were used for years on motors 50HP and less. It is a good idea to make sure the mounting hardware is secure to the hull. One spring only is advised to keep the motor from a possibility of fishtailing.
True on engine size. Back then 35 hp was about tops till the OMC "Fat 50" arrived. Don't know what that they used with that. I certainly wouldn't hook up a hot mill of today to it, but with a 15' boat you aren't going to be going over 50, or not much, maybe a 70 triple and I wouldn't have a problem with that.....unless it proved to me to think otherwise.

We ran wires down both sides if you had a front deck, hence forward mounted helm with springs on both sides, or if a side mounted console wires went down the side with the helm with one cable crossing the transom under the engine, being secured with a pulley and returned to the engine for another pulley and back to the same side for termination. We always used, and I always saw 2 springs used.

Fishtailing (vibration of the engine back and forth) could be a possibility but apparently we had enough tension on the engine/engine bracket tensioner, and adequate tension on the springs. Never saw nor heard of it........but if it didn't happen why would you (Chris) mention it!

Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

We ran a Merc 850 with cable and pulley steering w/o issue. I also ran my Fatty with cable/pully steering, w/o issue.

I have heard the ban on higher HP motors and cable/pully steering, but never experienced the fishtailing described... Not sure I would use my Merc V6 with Cable pully steering. If the cable broke, the boat might flip.....