Steering actuator

unbtabl

Seaman
I dropped my boat off at a local shop to diagnose a power steering leak. They told me it was the steering actuator leaking, but gave me the transom Id number instead of the part number I need. Can someone help me identify the part number I’m looking for? I’ve looked on the Volvo penta website and I’m not seeing an actuator in the exploded view of steering components. The boat is a 99 Larson 226 with a Volvo 5.0

unbtabl

Seaman
I dropped my boat off at a local shop to diagnose a power steering leak. They told me it was the steering actuator leaking, but gave me the transom Id number instead of the part number I need. Can someone help me identify the part number I’m looking for? I’ve looked on the Volvo penta website and I’m not seeing an actuator in the exploded view of steering components. The boat is a 99 Larson 226 with a Volvo 5.0
I have confirmed it’s an sx-m outdrive. If I find a steering actuator that shows that it’s for an sx-m outdrive, it should fit... correct?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can get a seal kit and re-seal it.

I would get the one from five-star marine in Florida

however there are chinese versions on amazon

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You have to look in the transmissions section. You won’t see a parts breakdown for individual parts because Volvo says they are not rebuildable. However depending on which seal is leaking they can be rebuilt. Check out 5 Starr marine in Fla. If yours can be rebuilt and aren’t using the boat now & can wait for it you can send it to them. The cost of rebuilding the old one is about half so you can save approx $450 that way.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
the steering stuff is hidden in a section called TSKs which I think is Volvo speak for transom mounts.

in the TSK section you'll also find the tilt n trim parts, like trim cylinders and trim pumps/hoses etc.
The price for that actuator (they call it a steering cylinder) is a bit over a grand.
I changed one of these on my old 1988 Cobra last year and those models (and Merc as well) used a Bendix style unit with a seperate control valve with metal hydraulic lines and these are rebuildable because they were also used in cars (which are now classic cars which is why the parts are out there, Corvettes and Mustangs). In '90 or so both OMC and Merc switched to the "non rebuildable" style that Volvo also used.
I was able to find a nice used unit for about $250 but have the parts to rebujld the old one.
The removal part wasn't fun, you will need a cotter pin extractor for sure, the 2 large cotter pins for the mount bolts are hard to get out. The 2 smaller ones on the clevis (one for the steering arm on the transom mount, the other for the cable) aren't as hard to remove except for the fact that they are on the underside of the clevis and you can't really see what you're doing. I removed the exhaust on both sides to gain access. After removing the rear seats. Fun working on I/Os as always!

Attachments

• steerng actuator removal.jpg
    steerng actuator removal.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • steering actuator intalled.jpg
    steering actuator intalled.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Last edited: