Steel fasteners stuck in aluminum

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Anyone have a "magic" bolt freeing juice they use to help free up seized bolts in aluminum. A couple of examples are the stainless hydraulic compression fittings in an aluminum manifold. Also the steel nyloc nut on the aluminum anode bolts that go through the mercruiser gimbal housing. This question is not specific necessarily to what I'm working on. Is there a product out the that helps to loosen steel bolts in aluminum. I have tried WD40 and PB Blaster. Also a little heat in some areas may not be an option.

Thanks

Chuck.

robert graham

Admiral
Might try Freeze-Off in a spray can(CO-2 very cold)....Auto-Zone/Advance Auto....alternating with heat and PB Blaster or similar release solvent.

Boydski

Seaman Apprentice
Aluminum expands much faster than steel when heated. Using a heat gun on the aluminum and applying ice to the bolt may be your best bet to crack the corrosion and let some penetrating oil into the threads. Then brute force may work as the steel is much stronger than the aluminum.

Good Luck,

Thalasso

Commander
Use heat, heat the aluminum as fast as possible and turn the bolt, if it squeaks heat more.

If and when you get the bolts out chase the threads before putting new bolts in

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
My juice of choice is Tri-Flo. Can't find it everywhere but many auto stores and home improvement stores have it.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Thanks guys for replying. Freeze out sounds like it might be worth a try. But wouldn't I want to freeze the aluminum bolt, and heat the nut?

Tnstratofam

Commander
+1 on Aero Kroil that stuff is awesome! You can buy it locally from HVAC supply houses usually. We use it for stuck fan blades and squirrel cages on blowers as well as most any rusty bolts or nuts.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A penetrating oil left on overnight, at least, maybe apply it twice. WD-40 is not one of the best penetrating oils. Using heat or cold to rely on the differential expansion of the metals can help. In essence you have galvanic corrosion on the steel and sometimes you need to use an impact to break that. Get a wrench or socket on that fits well. Then give it a sharp blow to start it winding off. Just make sure you it it straight in the direction to loosen, as you do not want to risk breaking anything.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Got the last steel nut off the aluminum threads. Used copious amounts PB Blaster, and a little heat. Then just worked back and forth a little at a time, adding PB Blaster as I turned. I am going to get a can of Aero Kroil just to try. Thanks for the suggestions.