Starting to paint crankbaits

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starting to paint crankbaits

What type of paint do you use on the crank baits. The reason I was wondering is that I added a little color to a few crank baits years ago and they tended to melt things in my tackle box. Maybe I should have used some kind of clear coat that was compatible with everything. I am trying to add a little color to some spinnerbaits now and will post a little story about it. I am going to be very careful and check one in the tackle box for awhile to make sure that I don't have any problems from doing this.

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman

just krylon spraypaint and a few coats of clear to give them a little protection...

fishrdan

Admiral

I checked out those places skeeter, they look like some nice blanks. I order from NetCraft, Stamina and Moore's Lure's, a little from each. Stamina was bought out, moved, and under different management now, the prices are higher now, but they sell quality components,,, at least they used to... (I avoid the big box stores for components walmart, BPS, Cabelas as I've been burned with cheap stuff before.)

If you get to the point of, getting away from rattle cans and mixing colors, Netcraft has pearl additive that looks real nice, little bit into the clear coat. I also have some red micro metal flake (automotive paint) that I mix in the clear, to put the "rainbow" stripe on a trout lure. A sharpie marker works good to make fine marks on a bait, I use it for trout scale dots, but the same would apply to a crappie looking lure, new sharpie for fine dots, old sharpie for big dots.

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman

well nothing huge but its a start! only fish of the day came off of my cranks! i was so pumped... the real work starts now that i know they work haha!crankfish.jpg

pdgs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Fantastic! Just curious, have you ever tried http://www.mudhole.com/ for blanks and parts. I get my REC rod components (rod seats, guides, etc.,) from them. They seem to be pretty good. I often go with what's easy for me rather than shopping price so they might not have the best prices.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

A few of my buddies latest creations......ready for lips or props and hooks.

Attachments

• DSCN0163.JPG
    DSCN0163.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0164.JPG
    DSCN0164.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 0

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman

bringing this one back up... been a few months since ive done anything, but thanks to my GF's christmas gift of an airbrush, here are the first few that ive painted..1-2-13.jpg

Still figuring out how to use the gun, but for having it about a week...not too bad if i say so myself!