Starting Procedure

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I purchased my boat with newly rebuilt Volvo 4.3GS (4 barrel) all I had to do was turn the key and it started immediately from cold. I noticed that once it was fully warm it smoked a little at idle and left black scum on the transom.<br /><br />I purchased the shop manual that said the idle screws starting point is 3/4 turn out and found that mine had been set to 1 1/2 turns. <br /><br />After 10 hours on the new motor I performed a full service and adjusted the carb as per the manual. Now the engine will only start if I use the warm up lever, is this normal and have I been spoiled by my other boat that has a 4 stroke EFI outboard that just starts with no fuss.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Starting Procedure

Sounds normal, it was starting easier before because the mixture was set so rich it was acting like a choke. Now that your mixture is 'correct' you will need the choke to enrichen it when cold.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Steve,<br />I believe my motor (1998) has an automatic choke and therefore if it is correctly set up should I still need to use the warm up (fast idle) lever to start from cold?

kcole683

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You still need to open up the throttle to prime the engine with fuel,and to set the choke. The choke will not close unless the throttle is opened at least partially.<br />The mixture will be to lean if the choke is not set,opening the throttle 1/2 way or so should prime the engine pretty good. All the way to full throttle and back if its been sitting for a long time or weather is cold.<br />At least thats how my engine likes it.<br />Read the owners manual for your volvo it probably tells you to pump the throttle full throttle and pull it back to just above idle for a cold start.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Sparky,<br />The pumping to set the choke makes complete sense.<br />I have been trying to get a Volvo owners manual as I did not get one with the boat.