starting procedure for Evenrude 225 VRO

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good evening all,
can any body assist us with the correct starting procedure for a 1989 225 VRO Evenrude motor, we battle to get the motor started from cold or from a long standing period 2 months or so, once it has started and warmed up there is no problem to start it during the day. We pump the bulb until it is fairly firm then we push the ignition key in and then crank the motor, the key opperated choke seems to be our problem I am sure we are over choking the motor .we have checked spark which is okay ( strong spark)
If the motor has not been run for two months or longer how easy should it start. we do not have a owners or a workshop manual. Kind Regards William Wright

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: starting procedure for Evenrude 225 VRO

The bulb forces enough fuel to prime the fuel pump and fill the float bowls at the bottoms of the carburetors. Pushing the key in activates the primer solenoid which directs fuel directly into each carburetor throat for the cold start.

At the time you are preparing to make a cold start, there is no fuel left in the engine. To get the extra fuel needed, the primer solenoid is the fastest way since you do not have a choke. Holding the key in for a few seconds while in the run position, then turning to start while continuing to hold the key in should get you going.

I doubt if you are flooding the engine; your engine has QuikStart which advances the timing when the engine is cold. With a good fully charged battery, you should have no trouble starting. If your control has a warm-up lever, don't be shy about raising it.​

LubeDude

Admiral

I recently aquired a 1996 200 3 ltr, which basically the same engine. When mines cold, I pump the bulb untill I can`t pump it any more, push the key in for about five seconds without cranking, then I pump the bulb again. I then hold the key in and crank untill it starts. Even then it seems to take longer than I think it should, but my other engine was a Merc 150, and it was much easier to start. All different engines seem to like to start one way or an other. Don`t worry, you are not over choking it.

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you all for the replies Iwill give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes I will then report back on this forum, thanks guys.
Regards William Wright

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

HELLO ALL.
I did what you guys said and do you know what, the motor started easily and run well thanks for the help.
Kind Regards William Wright

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

HELLO ALL.
I did what you guys said and do you know what, the motor started easily and run well thanks for the help.
Kind Regards William Wright