Starting Out

MisterNixter

Cadet
Hi everybody. I'm new here so I hope you will forgive me if this has been asked before. In fact, I'm sure it has but I can't find where. I've had a few 12-14 foot aluminum boats before that I used on small lakes in northern Arizona. But now we are spending a lot of time in Florida and we have decided we'd like a bigger boat. Basically something for fishing the Indian River and the flats in the Keys. Day trips only, no overnight sleeping quarters needed. We have seen several center console boats like Makos and Sea Hunt in the 20-24 foot range and think that would work for us, but we have no idea where to start our research and what to look for in a boat. It would usually be just the two of us, and we have no interest in going very far offshore. We're complete newbies at this and any input would be much appreciated.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Starting Out

Welcome aboard!

Are you buying new or used? If new, then some other guys might chime in on favorite brands. If you're buying used condition is the key and the best place to start research is probably looking at ads here on iBoats or CraigsList.

MisterNixter

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome. We'll go used and I've been looking online. Just not sure what to look for and what to look out for. We've got a lot to learn.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Some basics for shopping for a Used boat.

1.) Make sure Titles are current and "In Hand"
2.) Ask for all maintenance records on the Motor.
3.) Pay a Marine Mechanic to do a Compression Check (if it's and OUtboard)
4.) Be prepared to get Under the boat and IN the boat to do a thorough inspection.
5.) Check the outside of the hull for Cracks, gouges and bare glass. Check the transom for cracks and discoloration around any mechanical fasteners. Bounce the leg of the outboard and check if there's any flex.
6.) Check the inside of the boat for soft spots in the deck. Make sure to check the corners and pay close attention to the rear parts(Stern) of the boat. If it has a ski locker look in and have a flashlight. Check for any wetness of soft spots in the sides of the locker. If it's and Inboard lift the engine cover and check below especially the motor mounts. Check for soft spots and wetness.
7.) check all electrical systems.
8.) Take a test ride if possible. This is REALLY the only way you'll know for sure how it performs.
9.) Check trailer for soundness and lack of major rust. Good Tires too!
10.) Check Seats and carpet. If the boat's been maintained well and kept covered they should be pristine.

There's prolly more but this is a good start.

Happy Hunting!!!

MisterNixter

Cadet

Thank you Woodonglass, that's the kind of information that can really help me know what to look out for.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Go to the bait shops, launch ramps, and fishing forums in your area.

Ask the other fishermen what would be best suited for the fishing you want to do, and the actual locations you want to fish.
Flats fishing may limit what you can use.

See what they use.

Don't go boat shopping, go info shopping.

Sometimes local info is the best.

southkogs

Staff member

Consider what you can tow and where you'll store it - sometimes the garage looks a little bigger than it is ;)

Get an idea in your head of what you can spend, that'll help you determine what kind of condition to expect. You can find good boats inexpensively, but it takes a lot of patience.

I would suggest a few "recon" trips to some dealerships. Look at some of the newer center console boats and some of the walk around fishing boats. See what you like and don't like and use that to help you look at used boats.

If you can rent one for a day it might be money well spent to try renting a boat to see if you like it.

MisterNixter

Cadet

Thanks guys, lots of good info. We figure we can spend somewhere between $5,000 to $8,500, which I think can get us a decent used boat if we shop carefully.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

The boats already mentioned are good all-around boats that'll handle the fishing/cruising part fine, but might have too much draft for flats fishing... but I don't know that for sure. As mentioned, 'local knowledge' will be your best bet in helping you decide.

You mentioned the Indian River and The Keys in the same breath, so I assume you'll be towing. What's your tow vehicle and its tow capacity? You need to be aware of how much it all weighs versus what your vehicle can haul around safely. My first boat, a 21' Pro-Line walkaround with motor, trailer, fuel and 'stuff' weighed in at over 3500 lbs.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Roscoe has it right; look around at boats even new ones on line and in shops to find the size and style you want then go find a used one.

The list above is good except one thing: carpet. No carpet. Ever. Buy the kind of boat that doesn't have to be covered.

However Rule #1 is good titles to boat and trailer. Anything else can be fixed.

Outboard only.

You want 20-24' @ $5-8500. That is going to be a tough fit. And there is a huge difference between the dynamics. Let me suggest you start with a 19' on a single axle trailer. You will find way better quality in your price range, but even there you have to buy something old. And it will be a salt water motor, which makes age a factor. 19' is a good two man boat. You will be comfortable in fair weather and safe if it gets rough on you.

Do not get tempted by I/O bowriders that are dirt cheap and all over the used market. There is a reason they are dumped everywhere; it's the worst set-up for what you want to do. Conversely, people hang on to their real boats, or sell to friends, so good CC's are hard to find. Your profile seller is the guy who bought it "for the kids" and now they are grown and out of the house, and it's just sitting. or the guy who is up-fitting.

The "bay boat" hull is good for flats; wet on open water. The deep V is the opposite, although a 19' V can go about anywhere. A modified V is a good compromise, including the old starcraft tinnies. A flat Carolina Skiff and its imitators (Bay Runner, Skimmer, etc.) are both good for big water and flats, and require a much smaller motor, which saves you big $ on the purchase.

Any brand that starts with "Sea" is a good mid-grade boat. Old mako's are great; new ones not. Proline, privateer, palm beach, Scout are good. Grady white, Whaler, old Wellcraft are at the top.

As for test ride: you don;t need to test ride each boat, just each style and size. Once you've been in a 21' Sea Hunt or a 17' Carolina Skiff you been in them all.

MisterNixter

Cadet

A friend has a 1992 Mako 211, center console, 22 ft. long, deep hull. Motor is a Johnson Ocean Marine 200 HP., 1993., with a 1994 power pack. He wants $6000 for the boat and trailer. Trailer has a new spare tire, all new tires, and a 2 speed winch. Also has 4 new, never used life jackets, anchor, 150 foot anchor line (never used), mooring lines, bumpers, etc. I have not seen it yet but he says (and I've known him long enough to believe him) that it's in very good shape. He bought it used, used it one summer, and then his job changed and he's on the road for weeks at a time. It has been in his carport under a cover, for three years. Any input on this boat?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The package seems like it will fit your needs quite well but if you're saying the boat has been sitting under a cover for 2-3 years, then that's not really a good thing.
Old/bad gas, parts dried out possibly, stuck, etc.

Because you are dealing with a "friend", sometimes it's best to get a neutral 3rd party opinion of the boat and motor before purchasing.

I would think it should not be hard to find an outboard shop that could do a mechanical survey of a Johnson engine.

As far as whether that's a good price, it might be best to ask folks that are really in-tune with the Mako line so right here on IBOATS there is a Mako forum and I'm sure there are others to get some more in-depth information. Different parts of the county can vary the price of a boat package considerably.

Mark

MisterNixter

Cadet

Thanks Mark. He had the local boat shop drain the gas and set it up for long term storage. He also said he'd split the cost of having a mechanic from that shop or any other local shop I chose come out and go over it with me, and that he will deduct any repairs needed for safety or operation, up to $1500, off the price. He's motivated to sell since he has an opportunity to get off the road, but it will require relocating and he won't have a place to store it.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seems like he thought ahead setting it up for storage and is being fair about the deal especially since he will pay half of the mechanic cost and I would not think it would be near $1500 for maintenance/repair items unless something real major is wrong.

Hope it works out for the both of you.

Mark

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

grab it before I do. There is nothing better than buying a used boat from a reliable seller who has owned the boat for most of its life.