Starting my boat resto this weekend, Advice?

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Going to be replacing the floor and transom on my boat over the next 3 weeks.

Any advice or tool recommendation to make the job a little less painfull would be appreciated!

Boat is a 1975 Internatonal Fiberglass (EX-EL) 16" Cathedral hull. I will be drilling the rivets out and removing the top deck today and tomorrow and I will post pics after.

Going to buy a few items today so what tools do you think are must have items?

Thanks in advance

Also regarding rub rail, is it better to slide it out, or will it be ok jut t pull it out from its track??

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starting my boat resto this weekend, Advice?

A good angle grinder is needed and lots of different grit sanding disks too. I hope you know exactly what it takes to accomplish what you're planning to do. Also hope you have read the many total project rebuilds on these forums. There is a lot of quality information on here and a lot of experience and knowledge as well and those folks can guide you through most any situation. Make sure you use the safety equipment and coverall suits when grinding the fiberglass during your demo... It is loud, noisy, dirty, nasty work, but the end results will make you a proud owner too...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The first link in my signature below has some good info and the list below should be a good start...

It's impossible to give an exact "Quote" of everything you'll need but this list will get you "Started" and from there, after you've done some "Glassin" you should have a good idea of what you'll need to "Finish"

This is for a typical 3 Stringer 16-18 ft. Ski boat doing the Deck, Stringers and Transom.

Here's the Starting List.

?
PPE

Respirator (Full Face Preferred $100) if not then double filtered 1/2 face and Goggles with vents taped over.
Latex Gloves (1 - 2 Boxes)
Leather Gloves 1 Pair
Full cover Hooded Tyvek suit. Rubber Band or Tape the Wrists and Ankles and put a wet towel around your neck.
Talcum Powder (coat yourself TOTALLY with talcum powder prior to every grinding Session. USE A LOT)

Equipment

Prybars, Hammers, chisels, Putty Knives
Flat tipped shovel to remove foam, Old Carpenters Saw (The Old Fox Hole Army Surplus Shovels work well)
Circular Saw
Sawzall
Dremel Tool
Router
Drill
Random Orbit Sander (80 grit all the way to 180 grit)
Rasps, Files
4 1/2" Grinder with Backup Pad and 24 grit resin coated sanding discs
Masking Tape
Shop Vac for dust control or Dust Collector if you're fortunate enough to have one. It's good to create a Plastic Tent over the boat to contain the dust. There WILL be a LOT of it....A LOT!!!!

Product

3 sheets 3/4" Arauco Ext. Grade Plywood
You may also need som 1/2" and some 1/4" for seat bases and side panels.

15-20 Gallons 435 Polyester Resin
4 Gals Cabosil
1 lbs 1/4" chopped strand fibers
25 yds 1.5 oz CSM
15 yds 1708 Biaxial Cloth
2 dozen 1 qt plastic mixing buckets
1/2" x 5" Fiberglass "Bubble" roller
2 Dozen Stir Sticks
2 dozen Short nap 6" nylon roller covers and trays
2 dozen 3" Chip Brushes (cut 1/2 of the bristles off

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow, Fantastic replies, I have Created my shopping list and am about to head out.
I am a welder fitter by trade s I am all to familiar with this sort of wok, the diffrence being it is fiber glass and not metal. But I am also familiar with the theory an application of fiberglass. So now it is a matter of putting it all together.

Any input on the rub rail question?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

... never mind.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Any input on the rub rail question?

You can warm it with a heat gun and pull it straight out, before warming it you could also go along the rubber and spray some lubricating/penetrating oil on it...if it is in pliable condition, it should pull out without too much effort, you might want to wear some work gloves to get a grip on it...if it is brittle and dry rotted you may have to consider replacement...

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got the rub rail out and poped the cap off, Removed seats and carpet, and started "Scooping" the transom out...lol yes it is that rotten.

From what I can see so far, There is only one stringer right down the center (There may be shorter stringers that run down the side sponsons but have not cut it open that far yet.

the floor was 1/2 arsed 1/2 replaced before, But I am going to do the entire floor and stringer and build the transom with a little more support. this boat will be getting a 1966 Chrysler 50hp and @ 128 lbs I know it is not going to need the extra support, but I may as well just do it. I will do up a drawing for my plans so I can show and get some input on how I plan to do it, I want to make it to handle a 100hp (not that I will ever put that kind of power on it)

Here are some pics from day 1.
20130420_161404.jpg20130420_182523.jpg20130420_182545.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

WHOA!!! You need to build a cradle to support your hull. If you don't it will get all out of shape when you a pull the stringers, deck and transom. You need to take lots of measurements to ensure the top cap will fit back on when you have glassed everything back together. This IS very important.

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I spent today doing just that,( building a cradle) I even have all of my measurements in autocad to help me build the extra transom supports.

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I I got my main stringer out...by accident, yeah it was that easy...sooo rotten!

Anyway, What do you guys recommend for glassing the stringer in? epoxy or poly resin? And for the stringer its self (1.5x5) would plywood be best or fir?
I would also like to add a layer of glass to the aft 3 ft of the hull, what glass would be best suited to add a little strength to it?
thank you for any advice in advance, I will post pics tomorrow.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Polyester resin will be cheapest if you can find a source locally and don't have to pay the hazmat shipping.

2 thicknesses of a good grade of 3/4" plywood laminated together and cut to the exact height will be the strongest for the stringer.

1708 biaxial cloth will be best for all of you glassing needs including the aft layover and the layup laminates for your stringers.

Before you start any glassing you need to grind the old glass on the inside of the hull back to fresh pink glass for the best bonding of your new layups.

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Polyester resin will be cheapest if you can find a source locally and don't have to pay the hazmat shipping.

2 thicknesses of a good grade of 3/4" plywood laminated together and cut to the exact height will be the strongest for the stringer.

1708 biaxial cloth will be best for all of you glassing needs including the aft layover and the layup laminates for your stringers.

Before you start any glassing you need to grind the old glass on the inside of the hull back to fresh pink glass for the best bonding of your new layups.

Thanks, That is exactly what i was thinking would be the best course of action.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

Take lots of.measurements. I wish I had laid a board across my cap and measured from it to the floor in several spots. I recreated my stringers as best I could from what I cut out, but they aren't exact. Im not sure if the floor will be the same exact height or not.

Some material was missing from the bottom of my stringers because the sawzall blade did not stay right on the hull all the way down the stringers, so I had to guess the contour of the hull and the height of the stringer in into places. If ever I do this again I will scribe the contour of the hull to the stringers, cut them too tall and bed in place, then cut to floor height.