Starting issues on 1974 Johnson

jbfisher

Cadet
I have a 1974 85 hp Johnson on a 1979 16' Sea Star that I just can't seam to completely figure out. I bought the boat and motor a few months ago and because there was old gas in the tank I immediately flushed out the tank several times even though it wasn't very dirty. Installed new fuel lines and clamps from tank to motor...new primer ball, and quick connect on motor. New fuel filter and interior lines. Also thouroughly cleaned the carbs and installed new plugs. Motor has strong spark.

Motor runs excellant low and top end but it always take a while for the fuel to get to the cylinders on cold start. For cold start I full choke with a little throttle until it fires then release choke. Have to do that few time until it will stay running. Just not getting the gas that I should right away. Also if I stop to fish more than 5 minutes I have to do the same thing over again. I really shouldn't have to choke it again when the motor is warm. I am leaning towards a weak fuel pump but don't want to spend more money on something that isn't the problem.

Has anyone had this similar problem with this motor? Any info would be great...the motor runs strong and idles like a champ once I get enough fuel to it. Thought about taking it in to the mechanics but would like to see what I can do before it comes to that.

Thanks in advance.

jbfisher

Cadet
Re: Starting issues on 1974 Johnson

So basically they are known to be hard starting motors correct? Sounds like it's normal to have to continuously opperate choke in and out until the motor runs smooth. Any idea why it is difficult to start after motor is only shut down for 5 minutes? I have to opperate the choke to get it started then also.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have an idea.....does your motor have the choke pull on the front of the motor right next to where the electrical cables enter the housing? (on the newers ones the manual choke is a lever inside the motor). If so, are you aware that that pull has three positions? All the way out is choke, all the way in is choke off, and one click in is automatic. When it's pushed all the way in the choke is locked off. Your electric choke won't work and the motor won't be able to choke itself a little bit periodically to keep running. You want to make sure you only click it in one click. If you do that, and have the cover off, you'll be able to see that once the motor is started it continues to choke itself a little bit to keep running. I didn't know this for 2 FRIGGIN' YEARS! And like you, thought my outboard was hard to start and tempermental. Once I figured that out it starts like a dream (well at least the warm starts are super quick). I hope this solves your problem.

jbfisher

Cadet

No I didn't know that one click was automatic but did know all the way out is on and all the way in is off. I do have electric choke but it is broke right now so I have been opperating the choke manually which really isn't much fun. Plan to fix the electric choke soon and I will try bringing it out one click and see what happens.

Did your motor also start hard after sitting for 5 minutes or so?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure your electric choke is broken? If your manual choke switch was pushed all the way in it will not allow the electric choke solenoid to engage the choke. I don't think my motor would start hard after 5 minutes but it definitely had an issue after about a half hour or so. I think moving the manual choke switch to automatic is going to solve a lot of your issue.

jbfisher

Cadet

Yeah it's definately broke. Has been since I bought it. The arm and spring that connect the choke to the carborator aren't even there. Working on getting a used one soon. I will try running it one click out and see if that improves anything for the time being though. Worth a shot.

jbfisher

Cadet

Thanks for the advice guys. I will let you know how it goes.

jbfisher

Cadet

Went out Sunday night and had the same starting issues with using the starting technique's you suggested. The motor cranks over fine and takes entirely to long to cold start. There must be another issue going ont. Now after I shut the motor off it won't start even seconds later with out having to fully choke it again. Just doesn't seem to be getting the gas it needs to fire unless fully choked for a few seconds. What could be causing this? Do you think I need to fully rebuild the carbs?

Thanks

Vere

Cadet

Sounds like you know a lot more than me about motors (not hard), but I have a 78 115hp Sea Horse V4 and its also a pain to start. Likewise, sometimes even when warm just wont start without choke. Even the manual I got for it online says they can be difficult to start.....

On the choke settings thing, mine has a manual choke (auto seems to be not working) but it doesnt seem to have a click positioning. I have to hold it all way in to full choke, seems all I can do until I work out more about motors....