Starting issue or seized engine???

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starting issue or seized engine???

It's possible that there was a hariline fracture in the crank when the engine was "remanufactured". Might have just needed a little bit of heat/oil starvation/shock, to finish it off. There's no telling, really.

If you're going to stick with the old block, make sure you break out the micrometers/slide caliper, and some telescoping gauges, and make sure everything's still in spec. Might be worth it to take it to a machine shop and have the block magnifluxed/x-rayed, to check for cracks or other "invisible" damage to the block. It'd sure be a bummer to put all the time and money into this engine, only to find out that there were other problems with it.

Good luck!

What caused the heat was water flow starvation- -broken water inlet hose on the outdrive. When I put her "to the floor" out of the hole is when she overheated and busted the crank. I just didn't think the crank could bust even with the heat.

The mechanic working with me said we'll know when we put the crank in whether the split caused the "block to spread."

Damn water inlet hose. I don't think I'd be here now if I'd known it was busted.

Maclin

Admiral

Good luck, but my bet is there will be a lot more wrong than just the crank. Heat is one thing but oil starvation is another, that will work on a crank before other stuff. An overheat usually does not hit the crank first. Heads warp then the head gaskets go and along the line somewhere the exhaust manifolds crack, not to mention the rubber exhaust hoses and flappers and all that stuff. I am thinking overheat then water in cylinders then hydrolock then bent/busted rods and lastly the crank went. I hope not, but I'm just sayin.....:(

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck, but my bet is there will be a lot more wrong than just the crank. Heat is one thing but oil starvation is another, that will work on a crank before other stuff. An overheat usually does not hit the crank first. Heads warp then the head gaskets go and along the line somewhere the exhaust manifolds crack, not to mention the rubber exhaust hoses and flappers and all that stuff. I am thinking overheat then water in cylinders then hydrolock then bent/busted rods and lastly the crank went. I hope not, but I'm just sayin.....:(

I like this assessment: "I am thinking overheat then water in cylinders then hydrolock then bent/busted rods and lastly the crank went. I hope not, but I'm just sayin....." I agree the heat path would have taken the one you mentioned with the warped heads being first on the list. Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to understand why and I think your spot on with your assesment. Any other theories are welcome.

Uraijit

Banned

I agree. I'd have the rest of the block checked out, before spending the money on a new crank.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree. I'd have the rest of the block checked out, before spending the money on a new crank.

What kind of money am I looking at to have the "block checked out" do you think? There is a local crank/machine shop here in Syracuse so I'm guessing thats the place to go.

Uraijit

Banned

Call 'em up.

You should be able to get the block Magnafluxed for around $25-$30. Everything else, you should be able to check with a set of bore gauges and slide calipers/micrometers.

If you don't have the required measurement insturments, look to pay another $40-$50 to have them check everything out, and make sure your block is still serviceable.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Call 'em up.

You should be able to get the block Magnafluxed for around $25-$30. Everything else, you should be able to check with a set of bore gauges and slide calipers/micrometers.

If you don't have the required measurement insturments, look to pay another $40-$50 to have them check everything out, and make sure your block is still serviceable.

Thank you sir. I just needed to know what kind of $$ I was looking at. Small change for such an operation that she is undergoing. Thanks again.

Uraijit

Banned

No problem. Good luck! I know the feeling...