Starting Button??????

thirdgen87

Cadet
hi all, i just picked up a gls175. i hooked up a new battery. turned the key to start and nothing. no juice to motor. all my guages work. tilt and trim work. but no juice. its a 70hp johnson. now. the key switch. is off, run and start. the start has a spring like action where as if i release it it will go to run. also with the push the key in for choke fuction. now. i got under the dash. there seems to be a red and blACK WIRE OFF THE IGNITION SWITCH. there was a button like switch on my floor. with a red and black wire as well. the switch on the floor. goes into the dash. with a spring load behind it. as in when you push the button it comes right back. looks like a spark plug. does anyone know if this has anything to do with power to the motor. of what the h@ll this button thing is? thank you for your help in advance

jm3382

Cadet
Re: Starting Button??????

It sounds like the previous owner may have wired in the push button switch due to a bad ignition switch. aka the start function was no longer working with the key. But, with the key in the RUN Position the push button may crank the o/b allowing you to start it. Also check for any bad fuses/wires and conections in all locations!
With that said, it is in your best interest to locate a electrical diagram for your boat and motor. Try your local library, you would be surprised what they may have, also online resources and of course dealers. A good (not expensive) digital/analog meter is necessary for properly conducting circuit tests. Hope this helps, good luck.