Starter wiring, AQ271C

Hi everyone. Im trying to figure out my starters wiring. I took the starter off to swap for a new one. When I did that I took a picture of the wires with my phone. Then I had to factory restore my phone(long story). Anyways I see two terminal posts on the starter. I have two large red wires(one has voltage the other doesn't) one large black. a 10 gauge? Red wire, red/yellow, and purple and what I think is a resistor that adapts a 10 gauge to the larger terminal. I tried looking at the schematic on the adults only post but it looks a bit different than what Ive got here. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter wiring, AQ271C

Anyways I see two terminal posts on the starter.

You need 3 terminals on the starter A,B,and D. I assume you bought an automotive starter to save some cash. Marine starters are ignition protected, which means if you get gas in the bilge due to an unforeseen leak, the starter won't ignite the fumes.

Without the D terminal, you may not get the engine started.

attachment.php

Check that black wire, I would bet it's either a red or and orange wire with a black sleeve on it.
All the red and orange wires go on the A terminal. Yellow red wire goes to the B terminal and the purple yellow wire goes on the D terminal.
That purple yellow wire is what powers the ignition while the engine is cranking.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

not the best picture, however this is from my 271C when I pulled it.

Thank you guys. I see the D terminal now. Any guesses about this resistor/adaptor parts location and which wire it wants? Looks like it's got the small red on it in the picture and the black cable appears to be hanging out? Was that grounded? Thanks again guys

I'm underway for a while. Coast guard has a tendency of getting in the way of my boat repairs/boating. I'll check the black wire out but I'm 95% sure it's a battery wire. Yes it is a car starter, which I'll replace soon(thanks for telling me the difference, thought it was just a coating for rust prevention).only wires I've seen so far are 2 red battery cables(1powered,the other not) black bat cable(like in Scott's picture) a purple 10 gauge(distributor I think) yellow/red 10 gauge(key switch) and a red 10 gauge(goes to a panel). I'll get back to it next weekend. Thanks again for the info Don

Ok got it. Everything is wired up except the fuse. Is that for my alternator wire?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

no, the fuse should be for your tilt/trim pump.