Starter to weak to crank engine-but connection OK

jdlanders

Cadet
I have a 1974 50 HP Johnson that has a remote control box. I recently had the Remote control box re-built, and before I started it up again I cleaned out both carbs, as the engine was generaly dirty when I got it. After cleaning the carbs I realized that the starter no longer had enough power to crank the engine (some times the pinon gear will not engage), I now have to crank the engine by hand with pull rope (this was not the case before control box rebuild).

I have preformed a voltage drop test throughout the starting curcuit as suggested by my Clymer's manual, and all of the connections and components seem to be suficiently clean and not causing to much resistance.

My question is: My clymer's manual suggest testing the "safety switch" in the trouble shooting section, is this refering to the nuetral start switch in the control box? and seeing as my starter is turning, is there any reason to test the "safety switch", or should this only be done if the starter will not turn? Seems to me that my problem might be worn brushes in the starter, but I do not know, I have only worked on pull string engines before.

thanks.

PS. I have cleaned all connections and my battery is showing 12v.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter to weak to crank engine

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

jdlanders

Cadet

Thanks tash,

As mentioned I have already cleaned all connection and preformed a volt drop test. The voltage drop test shows that there is not to much resistance in any connection, so it seems that the connections are OK? Correct? I did this because I have read many post on this sight about 90% of starter problems. I am thinking that because the control box has been rebuilt, and that is where the nuetral start switch is, the man who repaired my control box could have damaged the switch.

That is why I wanted to know if this (nuetral start switch) is also called the "safety switch", and if so, should I test this as suggest in clymer's, or am I correct in thinking that if something is wrong with the "safety switch" then no power will get to starter?

I will get the battery tested today, but when it comes out OK, does that tell me the problem is in the starter?

thanks for the help, I am new to boat engines with starters, but am learning

glenn rich

Cadet
Re: Starter to weak to crank engine-but connection OK

sounds like the starter have it checked & poss rebuilt IMO see this at the shop pretty often not to much $

tashasdaddy

if the starter is running, the safety switch is working. i agree get both battery and starter checked. that is a 35 year old starter, could just need brushes, and blown out.

jdlanders

Cadet

thanks guys,
After work I will go get both of the bateries checked out, then, if they are cool, I will pull that starter and have a look inside, is it usually just the brushes that need to be replaced? I understand that they are not very difficult to replace.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The simplest test is to use a set of jumper cables and jump directly to the starter. If it runs normally you have cable or solenoid issues. If not, make sure you have a good battery. Use the one from your car for the test. A battery with a weak cell cannot possibly spin the starter.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

jd,
12 volts is about 75% discharged. A fully charged battery measures at least 12.65 volts.

measure voltage at the starter terminal, key turned to "start" -- if you have 12 volts or more, the starter is bad.

have you tried a couple drops 3in1 oil on the bendix threads?

seloc includes starter repair instructions, would've thought clymers would have 'em too

brush replacement, no prob. but sometimes just disassembly & blow out all the carbon dust does the trick. don't use any solvents or stiff brushes on the starter parts.

tashasdaddy

watch out for the springs. loose one and it's over.

jdlanders

Cadet

Hello, I just wanted to thank everyone that replied to my post. It looks like both of my batteries were bad, so i got a new one and it started right up, but at least I now know that all of my connections are nice and clean. I am going to hold off on replacing the bushes in the starter until it is needed, unless somethinks there is a reason to replace them now.

Is there anything I can do with the batteries? the load test said they are weak. use them to troll?

Well, once again, thank you all, saved me an arm and a leg at the shop for sure!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

return 'em for the core charge?

cranking batts won't last a month in a deep cycle application