Starter solenoid

markle

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 7, 2010
Messages
39
So ... refusing to believe my battery was dead I took the starter motor out and removed the solenoid to clean up all connections.

AQ151 in an old princess 25 boat.

Turns out the alternator was seized but as least I got to see how the starter and solenoid join ... only trouble was I didn't actually take any notice!

I have managed to get it together but today noticed a grinding over run on the starter which doesnt sound good.

There is a gold spring inside the connection which I thought I had sussed, I am guessing this is the cause of the grind, it engages but doesn't seem to disengage fully.

Anyone know how this spring/clip works so I can disassemble again and then reassemble (at a slower pace than last time) ;)

Loving this engine, with the cover on my boat its like having a workshop with a motor mounted out of the boat as my engine well is huge, one giant learning curve :) Thank you to whoever owned it previously and enlarged the engine bay to fit a big diesel six pot in (not so thank you for removing it before I bought it!).

Cheers for any help I am defo learning to not just jump in and take things apart but old habits and all that!

Mark
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: Starter solenoid

If you would just slow down a little bit and stop taking everything apart for no reason, you would be in a lot better shape.
What is your engines actual model number? You have called it a 151 and a 250, and which model A,B,C,D of the number.

There is a gold spring inside the connection which I thought I had sussed, I am guessing this is the cause of the grind, it engages but doesn't seem to disengage fully.

Post a picture of the spring you have left over and the starter, Volvo used several different starters on those engines.
 

markle

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 7, 2010
Messages
39
Re: Starter solenoid

Ha ha agreed I am trying, cant help it have been the same way my whole life does afford more insight in to how things work by going the wrong way (every mistake is a great learning tool)! I will look up the actual motor number, and take a picture of the spring next time I take it apart :)
 
Top