Starter solenoid issue?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Today I tried to start my '59 Seaking 35 hp using the starter...the recoil is killing me!

I think my solenoid is bad, but here is what I did:

Firstly, the motor is not mounted on a boat, but rather running in a barrel. I connected the black ground from the harness to the negative of the battery. The red from the harness was attached to the left side of the solenoid and the right post of the solenoid was connected to the positive battery terminal.

I short circuited the two smaller posts on the solenoid with a screwdriver where the starter button should connected. The connections are all clean and tight..but I got nothing! I tried all other combinations on the solenoid, but again nothing.

Am I missing anything here or is my solenoid bad?

Also, I can directly power the starter and she spins!

Mas

jasper60103

Commander
Re: Starter solenoid issue?

I think you're shorting the wrong posts together. It should be 3 & 6 on the diagram.

starterwiring.jpg

SparkieBoat

Captain

you should not short the 2 smaller post but the hot side of the solenoid (big wire coming from battery) with the positive small post ( one is a ground do not short to it.) this will activate your solenoid.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

One of the small posts an "I" and the other small post has an "S" embossed in the housing Must one of these be grounded to work as in the diagram??

Mas

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Also,

I tried shorting the 6-3 3-2 & 2-7 combinations...with no luck. The only difference is the #2 not being grounded.

Mas

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Unconnected to anything...so I guess this is my problem??

Mas

lindy46

Captain

2 should ground to the engine, usually thru the cut-out switch.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys,

I'll give it another try today...with a new sense of understanding!

Mas

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

2 should ground to the engine, usually thru the cut-out switch.

If you connect 6 to 2 on a motor with a "cut-out switch" on the ground wire, you will no longer have a working "cut-out switch".

2 must be grounded or the solenoid cannot work.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

yup, definatly ground 2 and try again. without that ground the solinoid doesnt get the power to open and let the current go to the starter

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Ok finally got the solenoid hooked up correctly...but still nothing. I'm off to find another solenoid.

Mas

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

No, the ignition switch is no longer in the loop.

I went and bought a new solenoid for $9.00 at the auto store...not a marine type, but will not be mounted in a boat.

Rehooked up everything, but still nothing when I shorted the battery side terminal with the small "I" post..

Two questions: Does the frame of the solenoid need to be grounded? Currently, I have it mounted to wood.

Secondly, maybe the solenoid is upside-down?? Is the small post with the "S" or the "I" the one needed to be grounded? Currently, I have the "S" grounded.

Thanks guys,

Mas

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

No, the ignition switch is no longer in the loop.

I went and bought a new solenoid for $9.00 at the auto store...not a marine type, but will not be mounted in a boat.

Rehooked up everything, but still nothing when I shorted the battery side terminal with the small "I" post..

Two questions: Does the frame of the solenoid need to be grounded? Currently, I have it mounted to wood.

Secondly, maybe the solenoid is upside-down?? Is the small post with the "S" or the "I" the one needed to be grounded? Currently, I have the "S" grounded.

Thanks guys,

Mas

Correct marine solenoids are not grounded through the case but through one of the small posts.

Automobile solenoids are grounded through the case.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

So I bought the "two small post" type auto solenoid. The frame is not grounded, but the small post with the "s" is grounded. I was shorting the "I" small post with the battery side terminal...still nothing.

The small post with the "I" is not hooked to anything...just used to short with a screwdriver to the battery side terminal.

Am I hooked up correctly and just need to chase out some connection issues...or?

Mas

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Ok

I used jumper cables from my battery. I grounded the negative to the engine and touched the terminal on the starter motor...she fired right up. Starter good! Battery good! Connections good...unless internal corrosion between terminals. I did a ohm test on the wires and got zero resistance....but on a large load??

Wiring??

Left large terminal to starter.

Right large terminal to battery.

Engine grounded to negative on battery.

Small post on left grounded.

Small post on right open...unless shorted to right large terminal/battery.

I guess I'm an idiot. I cannot figure this out!

Mas

klrbruce

Seaman

Chased problems like yours on most used boats I've bought, try cutting off the ends of the battery cables where they meet the battery and replace. Internal corrosion, let 12v through, but not enough amp to run starter. If you have a good ground on small terminal and put 12v to other small stud, solenoid should click. The solenoid is just a relay(switch) 12v and ground to small studs throws the internal switch letting heavy amp 12v through the solenoid. You can also jump #6 to #7(right large post to left large post) if starter doesn't turn then not enough amps getting to starter.