Starter question

I've got a 1992 m40c, not that it really matters for my question:
I have the starter I need for this motor, and I've already installed a rectifier for the charging circuit. Is there any reason I can't just rig up my own solenoid that I pick up from the auto parts store? I can either fabricate my own bracket for under the cowling or install it under the seat in the boat where my battery box is. Trying to save a buck over buying the components from Tohatsu.

pvanv

Admiral
It would probably work. You need marine grade, so no sparks under the cowl.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
In addition, a non-marine unit probably won't last long, especially if it's used in salt.

Follow up question/issue:
The other morning I started the motor and noticed smoke coming from my switch panel, in particular a 12 volt auxiliary plug. I quickly disconnected it and everything seemed fine, motor ran well, lights worked; about 5 minutes into my run everything went black. Motor kept running though. After doing some testing I found that my rectifier is putting out about 9 volts DC at idle and 24 volts DC at 2500 rpm. The rectifier is a Tohatsu part, not aftermarket from Amazon. When I first did this install I was getting 13-15 volts DC, so it did work at one time. My questions are as follows:
1. It appears I blew the voltage regulator portion of the rectifier. Any ideas why?
2. Do I need to be worried about burning up other electrical components, such as my ignition?

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Taking a complete stab in the dark, I'm going to rattle off some ideas; check the schematic and look to see if a capacitor is required anywhere near the rectifier/regulator. If one is required, make sure it's there and in good shape. Also did you happen to run it without a battery? Also is the rectifier rated for the power than your alternator can output?